Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about trying a Chuck Roast

Options
Just curious who has all Egged a Chuck Roast? I'd like to maybe try it. What kind of seasoning or rub is recommended? How lo and slo can I go with it? I always got Chuck Roast in the freezer so figured I might give one a shot. We will see!
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options

Here is my GO-TO for a great chuck that has never failed to make folks come back for more.

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options

Seems that didn't work....I pasted a recipe. I'll try again.

CHUCK & JIM<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(Chuck” Roast marinated with a “Jim” Beam marinade)

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />North Portage Smoke-Shack

1 (4 to 5 lb.) chuck roast

Drunk & Dirty Marinade:

1 C. soy sauce

1/2 C. bourbon

1/4 C. Worcestershire

2 T. brown sugar

1/2 t. ground ginger

4 cloves garlic, crushed

Marinade for 24 hrs. in a bag, in the fridge, turning every so often.

1)) Remove the roast and reserve the marinade.

Meanwhile: Set up the Egg for an indirect cook with a drip pan, a goodly amount of lump and some of your favorite smoke-wood (I like Wild Cherry with this cook).

2)) Once you have a stable fire at 250 F. put the roast on the grid. Roast to an internal temp of 165 to 170 F. This should take 4 to 5 hours.

Once at 165-170 F. 

3)) The finish is a braise in the Dutch oven. With liquid (the reserved marinade and some beef stock and / or water) about 1/2 way up on the roast

OTOH, these looked and smelled SOOOO GOOD at the 170 mark it was hard to put them in the D.O. but I did!

4)) The D.O. then gets a cover and about another hour to a temp. of 185 F. for slicing.

Either, use the Jus as is, or make a thickened gravy.

Notes: At a finish temp. of 195 to 205 F. this beef will pull and could be mixed in the Jus used as a wetting sauce. This will make for an excellent sandwich on a hard roll.

However, I prefer to slice this up and serve it as a roast with sides of potato and grilled veggies.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You can treat it like a brisket and go super simple with just salt and pepper or do a rub of your choice. Cook low and slow to 160-165, wrap in foil and let her go till 205-210ish. We like to do a fajita rub and make pulled beef tacos and nachos with ours.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 on griffins suggestion.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,517
    Options
    I just did a chuck roast to try out my new slicer, did it Italian Beef style.  Cook it with italian seasonings rub, to very rare, then chill immediately.
    Once chilled, slice very thin (the slices will be a beautiful red), dip into hot au just briefing to warm, pile onto a bun, and get sloppy!  Yum.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• ShadowNick
    Options
    I season with montreal and cook like a butt
    Pentwater, MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Anyone have an estimate of minutes per pound for a beef chuck roast?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I'd bet on atleast 1.5 per pound if you want to take it to pulled beef territory.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did one last fall, detailed it pretty thoroughly, here is a link. 

It came out to 1.5 hours per lb.  I sliced it but easily could have pulled.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY