Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Question & Rub Question

Options

Plan to do a raised grid with direct heat, how raised?  Just to felt line with Woo2 or even above that with extended rack?  What temp?  Other method would be split firebox with only fuel on one side (I have xl) and cook indirect off to side with grid at felt line?  Had great resulst with that on Weber Kettle.  What would be difference? Suggestions, opinions?

Also, just ordered three of the seemingly go-to rubs from this site for chicken, pork, etc - Dizzy Pig Regular, John Henry's Pecan Rub, & Plowboys Yardbird - which is yall's fav on chicken??.......... 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd go raised higher. .. Do each half with a different rub
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    The John Henry pecan rub will do wonders for pork, not much for chicken.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I do spatches at 400°, raised direct. No need to "split the firebox" on the egg. Don't usually use commercial rubs any more. Might make my own from time to time, but more often than not, just individual seasonings. I did find a Kirkland product at Costco recently that is excellent! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

High as you can...

I prefer a light dusting of salt and pepper ( after drying out the skin in the fridge for a few hours).

Will tear the skin loose in places, push some twigs of Thyme up under the skin - every where I can.

That's all it needs for me to smile.

Cookin in Texas
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I do spatches at 400°, raised direct. No need to "split the firebox" on the egg. Don't usually use commercial rubs any more. Might make my own from time to time, but more often than not, just individual seasonings. I did find a Kirkland product at Costco recently that is excellent! 

I usually 'split the firebox' to save on lump and it also works well to direct as well as indirect.  Can cook meat over  direct and vege's or something over indirect.  Why do you oppose to that? Or did you just mean for this particular application.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Like everyone's said, high as you can up in the dome, and set the egg at 400.  Pretty bare seasoning is fine.  Salt and pepper.  Granulated garlic if you like.  No need to go with an extravagant blend.  I throw in some wood.  Usually cherry or apple.  
    Southern California
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like Loveless Cafe Peach rub.. Julio's is great also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN