Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock vs. Vertical vs. Old School

Options
Breaking in my brand new medium egg this weekend with a couple of 5lbs yard birds and a turbo butt (not at the same time, obv.).  We're supposed to have up to eight inches of snow (north of Chicago) but that's not stopping me.  Quick question on the birds - after some reading here I realize that the majority of you prefer the spatchcock method, direct heat, raised grate.  There also seems to be a large contingent who swear by any number of vertical methods.  Does anyone ever use a roasting rack and lay them down flat...in my case I'd have two side by side.  I'm thinking I may go that route, place setter legs up, indirect. Any major drawbacks to that method?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I cook my chickens in the v rack all the time 350 inderict plate setter legs up until inteurnal temp of 165 and for me this is the best
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Honestly, it's just cool to say spatchcock

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I bet you have room to lay two down together and spatchcock them. This is a large and so much extra room seems a medium would work. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• biggus22
    biggus22 Posts: 18
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Thanks, guys - I may try the dual spatchcock (+1 for just saying it).

@Charlesmaneri if I can't find any bricks around the house to do the grate riser I'll just use the V rack. Gonna put the maverick in the thigh - still pull the bird at IT 165 and let sit until 170?  Any tenting or FTC tricks I need to know about?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    They just cook well flat (IMO)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• biggus22
    Options
    OK guys - I'll post pics later but the chicken turned out pretty well.  One thing though, toward the end of the cook my egg wouldn't hold temperature.  Not sure why.  Given that I had 2x 5lbs Spatchcocked birds on a medium egg I'm wondering if there wasn't enough space for proper airflow...could that be possible?  Also - I thought I had filled up with enough fuel but during the post mortem it looked like I was a little low.  I filled to the edge of the fire ring but I thought that fuel lasts a long time on these grills...what did I do wrong?  Need to figure it out before tomorrow as I'm trying my first turbo butt!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Lots of guys use vertical racks for turkey. They come out great that way.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am in the old school camp.  I find the grease from the direct spatchcock cook drips on the lump and adds a flavor I don't care for.  It may have helped extinguish your fire. 

I cook whole chickens indirect on the grate with a drip pan.  Water in the pan for easy clean up.  If I wanted the drippings (like at Thanksgiving) I use the V-rack and roaster.  Have also done vertical with the beer can/sittin chicken.  Also indirect, similar results.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Honestly, it's just cool to say spatchcock

It's best said like Capt Kirk.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What kind of lump charcoal did you use? That is odd that it went through so much fuel so fast. You can run the egg at 350-400 for several hours no problem.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @biggus22-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  BTW- an easy way to get something to achieve the raised grid cook is to pound three beers (canned) then place the cans at 120* separation on the fire ring-grid on top and you are good to go.  You can spend the after-market big $$ later.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    If you can't find fire bricks or anything to raise the grid, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't use a raised grid. I just throw it on at the "factory" level. Works just fine.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Have egged chicken every way there is. My favorite is direct at felt line spatch'd and indirect vertical legs up.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    My best chicken has been rotisserie with Texas BBQ Rub's "The Right Stuff" rub.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @biggus22-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  BTW- an easy way to get something to achieve the raised grid cook is to pound three beers (canned) then place the cans at 120* separation on the fire ring-grid on top and you are good to go.  You can spend the after-market big $$ later.

You can use empty soada cans as well but it is a lot more fun to tell SWMBO that you are busy working on a grid modification as you sit in your favorite chair working on your third beer.. :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Regarding what you said about the temp not holding; that sounds like your bottom grate and holes in the firebox were clogged and it choked the fire out. Run a wiggle stick through the bottom vent to clear the ash. Still the used lump very well and unclog the holes before you start the fire.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • biggus22
    Options
    lousubcap said:

You can use empty soada cans as well but it is a lot more fun to tell SWMBO that you are busy working on a grid modification as you sit in your favorite chair working on your third beer.. :))
    +1 for pounding three beers...good call.  Thank you.
  • biggus22
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I'm using BGE brand lump.  I really think I had the entire grid covered and that prohibited airflow.  Buddy of mine mentioned he killed his fire like that once....
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I haven't even lit my medium yet, waiting for the table to arrive, but I do have a SS grate from @Stlcharcoal waiting to go in when I assemble everything.  Well made. reasonably priced and should eliminate any chances of fire issues.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stevesails
    Options

my family all lies white meat, so I just get split breasts with skin, cook direct raised or indirect, at 350 till they are done.

I guess you could call it old school.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• laserdoc85
    Options
    I have been doing chickens the same way sine 1985. Direct on a v rack with a dome temp of around 300,no drip pan. Juices just add to that egg flavor. Done in about an hour and a half or when you can pull a wing off the bird. Never had a bad bird
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg