Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VI's vanilla

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
I found this on a shelf in our meat market. Home made vanilla extract - 1.35 ounce for $12. They said a fellow on a Vespa in a red suit delivers it. ;;)
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    :)) .  Nice try, Mannix !  It ain't VI's vanilla unless it's made with Texas vodka.  You can also tell it ain't authentic because it's so cheap.

Move along, people.  There's nothing to see here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Tj turned me onto the idea of making extract, he kindly sent me some of his during the rub and sauce exchange last summer. Really excellent. Secret seems to be good beans, I know VI is a proud Texan, but the batch I just tried was excellent and it was made with Banff Ice Vodka, came out very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I should have used vodka, I guess. I used JD last Christmas and put the # of beans that VI suggested and it still isn't ready. Should I just wait or add more beans?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @billyray JD should work.  I have made batches with it.  I don't know how many beans I suggested to you, but it should be finished after a year.  Did you split the beans open?  I use an Xacto knife to open the beans up.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    @billyray JD should work.  I have made batches with it.  I don't know how many beans I suggested to you, but it should be finished after a year.  Did you split the beans open?  I use an Xacto knife to open the beans up.
    Yes I split and scaped the beans, I think I put like 5 beans in each bottle. It smells vanillay (not sure if this is a word), but I can also still smell some Jack
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.