Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Beef need help

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to cook a roast beef for dinner tonight. I look at a few ideas here and I'm a little confused. Some people say cook it low until the internal Hitzel hundred 25° other say cook it at 450 to 500° until the internal hits 125° Obviously these are indirect cooks. Which method should I use I'm probably going to go with a 4 pound piece of me also what is the estimate cook time for either methods listed above
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    What kind of roast are you using?  High fat content roasts you would go low and slow, like a chuck or an arm roast.  If you have a Eye roast or something of the sort that has very minimal fat you would go with the faster method. Obviously cook times will vary depending on size of meat and technique to cook used.  What result are you looking for?  Slices or pulled pork consistency?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    4 pound Eye roast and the result I'm looking for is to be able to slice it
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Tj's method works very well if you have two grills. For what we call Baron of beef or eye of round, a CI skillet sear using gasser side burner to sear than finish to desired IT on the egg, low and slow. The CI skillet has enough to deglaze and create a fond. 
    Similarly, you can roast low and slow allowing meat to take some smoke, then reverse sear either on the egg or in a CI skillet. To me the skillet is hotter, easier to control the cook and forms the basis for some gravy. 
    Slice very thin across the grain for best texture. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Came out awesome!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Glad to hear that it came out good, what did you end up doing?  Looks great!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options