Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial reviews of the Maverick ET733

Options
Alphonse
Alphonse Posts: 80
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum

My review of the Maverick ET733

I bought a 733 via Amazon Prime and had it shipped just in time for Thanksgiving.   Full disclosure - my first use was on a wood fired pit that I used to roast a 22 pound turkey.  I set the unit up to monitor the turkey and the grill temperature.  The turkey turned out spectacular.  I roasted it to 130F internal (breast) and then wrapped it up to avoid too much smoke and finished it to 160F.  I controlled the grill manually to ~325F using the 733 indicator as the go by.  By the way, the Egg was underway, unattended equipped with a DigiQ II and occupied with a ham.

Based on my initial setup and use of the ET733, my views on the pros and cons are as follows:

Pros:

1. Two temperature probes (both meat capable;  meaning pointed and intended to be inserted into what you are cooking)
  2. If you choose, you can have one probe monitoring the temperature of the grill
  3. Programming allowing you to set it up for:
  • Both the grilled item and the grill temp or
  • Two separate grilled items
  • One singular indication if desired
  • Programming is flexible with presets and doneness level (they call it taste levels) or the user can set levels at the desired points
  • Programming is simple enough and the documentation isn’t overly complicated.
  • The remote display is quite legible and backlit capable
  • The remote unit is small enough for putting in a shirt pocket or on a counter in a handy spot
  • The transmitter has a clip on stand that doubles as a hanger if needed
  • The remote receiver worked quite well and reads within the specs in terms of distance away from the transmitter
  • Temperature indications appeared to be accurate enough for the service; Probes read the same at ambient
  • Cons:

1. Biggest Con and frustrating is that the cables for the probes are only 3’ long.  This is at least 12” too short in my opinion. I would have gladly paid another 5 bucks for 12” more in length with the initial purchase
    2. One of my probe cables was a bit frayed and like a miniature cactus and I had to use some 400 grit emery cloth to polish it up since I didn’t have the time to send it back
    3. Minor - be sure you have a very small Phillips screwdriver for the battery cover (this isn’t really a con for me and I would expect most folks messing with BGEs are going to have one anyway - see comment below).
    4. Minor - The transmitter and the receiver do feel a bit fragile and you should be prepared to be careful with them.    They don’t appear to be robust enough to survive a serious fall

By the way, in the Amazon reviews one reviewer complained about the small screws that could be stripped on the battery cover of the transmitter.   The screws are small but connect into brass fittings molded in the receiver and there is a nice polymer seal that is in place to seal the battery compartment.   If you strip these out, you must be trying hard to do so or you didn't have the proper tool for the job.

Of course, I have no idea about the longevity or durability of the unit, time will tell.   I do suspect that I will be upgrading the probes for longer ones if I continue to use this setup on the wood pit.  They are likely fine for the BGE.   I am hoping the probes that came with it are different than some I read about on the earlier Maverick units that were not adequately moisture proof.   

If you are using a DigiQ or similar setup on the BGE, this may be a bit of a redundant device particularly if you have a remote display setup.  My DigiQ setup is the vanilla one without remote display and the ET733 will come in quite handy for a remote readout. 

The prices have leveled in the past two weeks.  Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales have now gotten the unit priced at $70 delivered.

Bottom line - I can recommend the set to my friends and I personally would buy it again.   Sorry if this review was too lengthy.

Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 

Comments

• Eggpharmer
      Options
      Excellent review. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting one and this will probably push me to buy.
      Austin, TX
    • Alphonse
      Options
      Excellent review. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting one and this will probably push me to buy.
      Thanks and stay tuned.  I believe that "shadowcaster" will post his review tomorrow.
    • shadowcaster
      Options
      Good Morning...Well, I don't think I will be able to write as good of a review as Alphonse but I will definitely give it my best.

I got my Maverick ET 733 yesterday and figured I would do a test run on a spatchcock chicken before my big pork cook this weekend. As Alphonse mentioned in his review the Maverick as a whole does not seem to be very rugged but I will say I have the ET 732 and I have never had a problem with that before, even after my two year old has played with it. The initial set up was real easy and is pretty much self explanatory. As advertised there are 6 presets on there for traditional meats as well as 9 wild game settings. I messed around with it for a little bit and set the High and Low range for the Egg as well as set the meat to the Chicken setting. Once I got the Egg heated up and the dutch oven on with the potatoes I set up the ET 733. One thing I noticed that seemed to be a improvement over the 732 was the refresh time. It was refreshing the temp reading a lot more often than I am use to with the 732 that I have.

I only noticed a couple cons with my first run on the ET 733

1. As Alphonse mention, the TC on the probes could be longer. I would like to see a 6' cord so I could span my table and monitor both my Medium and Large.

2. The display itself seemed like it might give me an issue in the future. I had a small rain drop on the screen and I wiped it off with my finger and when I did that I had a black mark follow my finger and stay there on the display. Forgive me but I can seem to remember what it is that makes up the display on the interior of those. I think it was the crystals? It was like when someone pushes hard on a computer screen except I gently ran my finger across it.

Other than those two thing I have nothing but good things to say about the Maverick ET 733. Tomorrow night I will be doing 4 pork butts and am doing them low and slow so I will be able to try it out again and will update my review accordingly. As of right now I think it will work great and if my 732 were to die tomorrow I would buy another 733 to replace it. By the way, last night's spatchcock chicken and potatoes turned out great, as always.
      Pure Michigan
      Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
      If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
    • laserdoc85
      Options
      Alphonse said:

My review of the Maverick ET733

I bought a 733 via Amazon Prime and had it shipped just in time for Thanksgiving.   Full disclosure - my first use was on a wood fired pit that I used to roast a 22 pound turkey.  I set the unit up to monitor the turkey and the grill temperature.  The turkey turned out spectacular.  I roasted it to 130F internal (breast) and then wrapped it up to avoid too much smoke and finished it to 160F.  I controlled the grill manually to ~325F using the 733 indicator as the go by.  By the way, the Egg was underway, unattended equipped with a DigiQ II and occupied with a ham.

Based on my initial setup and use of the ET733, my views on the pros and cons are as follows:

Pros:

1. Two temperature probes (both meat capable;  meaning pointed and intended to be inserted into what you are cooking)
      2. If you choose, you can have one probe monitoring the temperature of the grill
      3. Programming allowing you to set it up for:
      • Both the grilled item and the grill temp or
      • Two separate grilled items
      • One singular indication if desired
    • Programming is flexible with presets and doneness level (they call it taste levels) or the user can set levels at the desired points
    • Programming is simple enough and the documentation isn’t overly complicated.
    • The remote display is quite legible and backlit capable
    • The remote unit is small enough for putting in a shirt pocket or on a counter in a handy spot
    • The transmitter has a clip on stand that doubles as a hanger if needed
    • The remote receiver worked quite well and reads within the specs in terms of distance away from the transmitter
    • Temperature indications appeared to be accurate enough for the service; Probes read the same at ambient
    • Cons:

1. Biggest Con and frustrating is that the cables for the probes are only 3’ long.  This is at least 12” too short in my opinion. I would have gladly paid another 5 bucks for 12” more in length with the initial purchase
      2. One of my probe cables was a bit frayed and like a miniature cactus and I had to use some 400 grit emery cloth to polish it up since I didn’t have the time to send it back
      3. Minor - be sure you have a very small Phillips screwdriver for the battery cover (this isn’t really a con for me and I would expect most folks messing with BGEs are going to have one anyway - see comment below).
      4. Minor - The transmitter and the receiver do feel a bit fragile and you should be prepared to be careful with them.    They don’t appear to be robust enough to survive a serious fall

By the way, in the Amazon reviews one reviewer complained about the small screws that could be stripped on the battery cover of the transmitter.   The screws are small but connect into brass fittings molded in the receiver and there is a nice polymer seal that is in place to seal the battery compartment.   If you strip these out, you must be trying hard to do so or you didn't have the proper tool for the job.

Of course, I have no idea about the longevity or durability of the unit, time will tell.   I do suspect that I will be upgrading the probes for longer ones if I continue to use this setup on the wood pit.  They are likely fine for the BGE.   I am hoping the probes that came with it are different than some I read about on the earlier Maverick units that were not adequately moisture proof.   

If you are using a DigiQ or similar setup on the BGE, this may be a bit of a redundant device particularly if you have a remote display setup.  My DigiQ setup is the vanilla one without remote display and the ET733 will come in quite handy for a remote readout. 

The prices have leveled in the past two weeks.  Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales have now gotten the unit priced at $70 delivered.

Bottom line - I can recommend the set to my friends and I personally would buy it again.   Sorry if this review was too lengthy.

The probes are just like the old ones,,made in china. You should have ordered the new probes that are made in the USA and are waterproof .mine seem to have a better cable and look pretty robust

Jefferson .GA.  
      Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    • Alphonse
      Options
      The probes are just like the old ones,,made in china. You should have ordered the new probes that are made in the USA and are waterproof .mine seem to have a better cable and look pretty robust
      Laserdoc,
      I wasn't aware you could buy a package that included the improved USA probes.  I called Marverick and they directed me to the bbqequipmentstore who sells the made in the USA waterproof probes separately. Did Maverick steer me wrong??  

• caliking
      caliking Posts: 18,731
      Options
      Thanks for the reviews guys. Very helpful.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
      A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    • tarheelmatt
      tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
      Options
      Thanks for the reviews gentlemen.  Hopefully my wife took note and will order mine through Firecraft.com before tomorrow @ $64 w/free shipping. 

For ruggedness.  I thought about taking some high voltage tape to make a cover of sort for mine.  As I am prone to leave stuff out on the back deck and of course dropping stuff. 

I really need to make a table.  The short leads worry me. 
      ------------------------------
      Thomasville, NC
      My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
      Instagram
      Facebook
      My Photography Site
    • Skiddymarker
      Options
      Great review, much tanks to all you new 733 owners. My original 732 had the short cables, which Mav replaced with the longer ones, no idea where they are made. All I know is that they work. 
      I like the shorter cables, I have a spot for the transmitter felt line high and within 12" of the egg. The longer cables seem to always be in knots and do not store in a drawer very well. 
      Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    • Alphonse
      Options
      Great review, much tanks to all you new 733 owners. My original 732 had the short cables, which Mav replaced with the longer ones, no idea where they are made. All I know is that they work. 
      I like the shorter cables, I have a spot for the transmitter felt line high and within 12" of the egg. The longer cables seem to always be in knots and do not store in a drawer very well. 
      You can buy the USA made replacement cables from BBQ Equipment at $20 each but they are only 3' long.  They only sell them individually, no package deal for two and they tell me they have not been able to get anything longer as of yet.  For the BGE, the 3' is fine for me but I also plan to use it with the wood fired grill and they I wish I had another foot or two.  When I get time I am going to see if ThermoWorks has a better solution for the probes.  I have seen some hints at that on the threads on HeaterMeter and need to check it out.
    • caliking
      edited December 2013
      Options

Found these 6ft probes, but don't know if they are compatible with the et733. A while back I had found longer probes with higher heat tolerance, but I can't remember which website was selling them.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET732-Replacement-Chamber-Probe/dp/B006XLWL7K

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et732-Genuine-Replacement-Hybrid/dp/B00B6TS858

Here is a good price for this item:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732PROBE

• caliking
      Options
      Alphonse said:
      You can buy the USA made replacement cables from BBQ Equipment at $20 each but they are only 3' long.  They only sell them individually, no package deal for two and they tell me they have not been able to get anything longer as of yet.  For the BGE, the 3' is fine for me but I also plan to use it with the wood fired grill and they I wish I had another foot or two.  When I get time I am going to see if ThermoWorks has a better solution for the probes.  I have seen some hints at that on the threads on HeaterMeter and need to check it out.

Here's a thought - what if you buy or make an extension of sorts with the appropriate sized connectors. Place probe in meat, plug the male connector in to the female connector on the extension, plug the male conenctor of the extension in to the receiver unit? You could make the extension however long you want.

I just saw a website where it seems that the et732 probes will work with the et733

• shadowcaster
      Options
      The BBQ Equipment Store has them on sale now and have a package deal. It's not much of a savings but every little bit counts.

Pure Michigan
      Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
      If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
    • laserdoc85
      Options
      Alphonse said:
      Laserdoc,
      I wasn't aware you could buy a package that included the improved USA probes.  I called Marverick and they directed me to the bbqequipmentstore who sells the made in the USA waterproof probes separately. Did Maverick steer me wrong??  

nope thats where I got mine. Steve the owner is friends with the owner of Maverick.
      I posted a heads up on these probes a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to comment. I got mine and so far so good !
      Jefferson .GA.  
      Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg