Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Molasses question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,913
Today pushed to the back of a kitchen cabinet I found a practically full bottle of Brer Rabbit brand of Molasses. There is no expiration date nor best used by date. Furthermore I have no recollection of what recipe I ever bought it for, but my beloved says it was "mine" meaning it must have been an egg recipe. Is it still good and if so what is it good for? I can't imagine it could have cost all that much so unless I hear something yet tonight out it goes in the tomorrow's garbage pick up. And yes...my parents grew up during the depression in the '30s so I just don't throw out food!

Comments

• Pacuare
    Options
    If it doesn't smell bad, have mold in it, or appear to have been crystallized you should be safe to use it. However, if you are like me and you can't eat something and enjoy it without worrying if you are going to get sick even though you shouldn't get sick, save yourself the trouble and throw it out.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    I don't think there is much that can grow in molasses, so it should be ok.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    No mould, not crystallized, you are good to go. In fact even if it dries enough to form crystals, it is still OK. I think it is like honey, will keep for darn near ever if it was tightly closed, dark and cool. 
    It is so cheap, if the recipe is important, pick up some more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cali_egghead
    Options
    Molasses is good if you make your own bbq sauce but I can't think of any other reason to keep it around.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Alton Brown's molasses pork chops are amazing. I've yet to make them on the Egg but even on the gasser they were amazing.

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

Molasses is good if you make your own bbq sauce but I can't think of any other reason to keep it around.

Pecan and shoefly pie.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Gingerbread, pies, cookies, baked beans barbecue sauce and brine. It's still good.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i would think its similar to maple syrup where you can just skim off any mold and take to a simmer and use again, other than that i cant see it going bad. as for throwing it out, no
    :)) if any of your wood working tools have any rust on them, 7 parts water to 1 part molasses and soak for a week or two, removes rust without ruining edges etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    :)) if any of your wood working tools have any rust on them, 7 parts water to 1 part molasses and soak for a week or two, removes rust without ruining edges etc.
    Now THAT is a great hint and I'll find something soon to give it a try!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    trying it right now with an old straight edge that got left in the back of the truck this summer, its rusted rally bad so im testing the molasses on it. have done it to lightly rusted machine parts in the past where i couldnt clean internal areas, worked great. trick is a warm place and to use unsulfered molasses which i believe bryer rabbit is, should say it someplace on the label
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

I used a little bit of blackstrap molasses in my brine on my turkey breast. I'll let you know if it does a good job, or screws up the brine after turkey day.

BTW, another good use for it is to put it in a bucket with composted dirt,fill with water, and let it sit for awhile. It ferments into a super compost tea. I also add worm castings to the "brew".

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,823
    edited November 2013
    Options
    No mould, not crystallized, you are good to go. In fact even if it dries enough to form crystals, it is still OK. I think it is like honey, will keep for darn near ever if it was tightly closed, dark and cool. 
    It is so cheap, if the recipe is important, pick up some more. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I've got a lemon chicken recipe that uses molasses. It is delicious.
    Mark Annville, PA