Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Something is opening my lump

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have 60 pounds of Wegman's (RO) left in the shed.  Went to grab a bag last night and noticed all but one of them was open, and the strings were all gone.  I'm assuming mice building a next somewhere with the strings, but they must be a heck of a lot smarter than I am.  I need to use a knife to open the bags.  

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,299
    Wow, that's weird. I'm in the same boat as you, I only got the string to pull right about 10% of the time. Stopped trying and just cut now.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,082
    You should be so lucky... :)
    Louisville
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,641
    LOL... Never pulled the string. Always use my knife.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,019
    That is pretty crazy!  

I always try to pull the strings out but I only have about a 10-20% success rate as well.  One of these days I want to learn the trick.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • kids?
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,984
    Damn lump gnomes. They are these guy's cousins.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,735
    Holy cr@p! Tose critters are smarter than I am! But that's not saying much. 

I would set traps and get the critters. Sell them on ebay as organic/natural charcoal bag openers. Buy more lump with the money you get from the sales.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Any droppings around the bags? Birds looking for nest material? White poo dark poo?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    CP92 said:

Seriously fellas, Google is your friend.

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-open-a-potato-bag-or-any-bag-that-closes-with-string/

I'll take my thanks anytime.

LOL...

Hell with that... I wanna use my knife
    ·
  • CP92CP92 Posts: 186
    @hap did you actually watch it?  So worth the time. Comes with bleeping and everything.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Laurel, MD
    ·
  • Any droppings around the bags? Birds looking for nest material? White poo dark poo?

CSI?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422

Any droppings around the bags? Birds looking for nest material? White poo dark poo?

No bird droppings. Inside a 12x12 cinder block shed with a not so sealed locked wood door. Got to be critters of some kind. There are always mouse droppings in there. It's about 100 feet from the house in the back of the yard. As long as they don't steal the lump I'm ok with them opening the bags for me.
  • Damn lump gnomes. They are these guy's cousins. image
    Cal me a gnome just one more time and I'm coming down there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

CSI?
    Of course we would need proper DNA analysis to be absolutely sure

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    CP92 said:
    @hap did you actually watch it?  So worth the time. Comes with bleeping and everything.
    That was pretty funny @CP92.  

Here is another one where he actually does it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    CP92 said:
    Seriously fellas, Google is your friend.

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/how-to-open-a-potato-bag-or-any-bag-that-closes-with-string/

I'll take my thanks anytime.

Love the video. That's exactly how I end up doing it
    CP92 said:
    I confess I haven't yet... but I will :)
    ·
  • CP92CP92 Posts: 186
    @SmokeyPitt I honestly was looking for a real one but that was too good to pass up.

@TJ, you're not alone brother,both on how I end up doing it as well as the video.  When she dropped the first bleep I started laughing.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Laurel, MD
    ·
    I actually tried the technique in the vid using the top to a bag of lump previously cut/ripped open.  It worked after effing with it for about 5 minutes.  That is 4 minutes and 58 seconds longer than it takes to slash it with a knife.  :P

·
  • Magic, just magic. While fighting with a bag of dog food, my 5 year old grandson grabbed the string at the other side of the bag and it just opened like it had a zipper. You sure the door was always locked and that little moppet didn't help you out? 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Magic, just magic. While fighting with a bag of dog food, my 5 year old grandson grabbed the string at the other side of the bag and it just opened like it had a zipper. You sure the door was always locked and that little moppet didn't help you out? 
    Grand daughter is so scared of spider webs, she won't go near the shed.  
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,966
    Rip the bag open... Damn
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·

I actually tried the technique in the vid using the top to a bag of lump previously cut/ripped open.  It worked after effing with it for about 5 minutes.  That is 4 minutes and 58 seconds longer than it takes to slash it with a knife.  :P

It takes me 1 second pulling the string. :D
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited November 2013
    Hang a broadcasting Cam in there, like a deer cam. With NVG capability. Next move up to NVG scopes and a sniper set up. Mossy Oak wont cut it here. It has to be dark stealth.... weapon with suppressor and 20" barrel ... are you trackin? 

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
    Aviator said:

Hang a broadcasting Cam in there, like a deer cam. With NVG capability. Next move up to NVG scopes and a sniper set up. Mossy Oak wont cut it here. It has to be dark stealth.... weapon with suppressor and 20" barrel ... are you trackin? 

Splinter cell?

·
    Aviator said:

I'll escalate to that if the lump goes missing. Right now they are saving me the time to open the bags. Haven't found any critters in the bags yet.
    Tjcoley said:

Aviator said:

I'll escalate to that if the lump goes missing. Right now they are saving me the time to open the bags. Haven't found any critters in the bags yet.

If you do... Cook's treat!
    ·
  • Damn lump gnomes. They are these guy's cousins. image
    1. Steal Wegman's string. 2. ??? 3. Profit!
    ·
  • (In keeping with the South Park flavor)  I hope you don't find mouse sized Mr. Hankeys in your lump, but I would look for him!  Burning it would put an extra "V" in VOC (if you know what I mean). 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·