Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help please

Options
So I have been smoking a 12lb packer for the last 19.5 hours at around 225 . I am having issues with the gasket on my egg so the temp has not been as steady as I would like. The meat temp is reading 194 and would like to cook it to 203 . At this rate my cook will be well over 20 hours My question is , is that ok ? Or should, I increase the temp and cook the remaining a bit quicker ?
Toronto

Comments

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You've reached a temp where it's useful to throw it in a towel wrapped cooler for an hour before putting it back on for the final ten degrees or so. That's what I'd do. But as far as general advice about pulling through stalls, you should foil it. Put some liquid in the foil with it and throw it back on. The liquid can be any combination of honey, brown sugar, butter, mustard, beef broth and so on. Using foil pulls you through the stall much quicker. Typically, you'll want to foil around 165. I would not increase the temp.
    Southern California
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    So you are saying to wrap it in foil and FTC it for an hour and then out it back on ??
    Toronto
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just leave it on. It's fine. If you are in a hurry, bump it up to 275 or so. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited November 2013
    Options
    As @Cen_Tex would say it's all about feel-and the thermo reading is just a guide.  No resistance in the thickest part of the flat both ways (in or out-as you would guess:)) and you are there.  Don't short-change it!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    If it were me, I would just raise the temp and git 'er done
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY