Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

My new 'nest'

The growing family (now at 7) was quickly outgrowing our large egg. 3 years ago when I bought it, I almost went back and got the XL but had sticker shock and stuck with the XL, and for just our family it was fine, but any time we had company I was doing multiple rounds on the grill. I have finally accepted that we need the bigger egg, and the wife is convinced the cost is worth it after eating on the egg for 3 years. A buddy from work bought my large and the basic table I made for it. The wife also wanted a 'built in' look, she was tired of looking at all my grilling accessories on the deck in tupperware containers.

Old Nest:

New Nest:

I used a local granite guy who had some remnants that fit the bill to keep costs down. I thought about poured concrete, granite tile, but in the end I barely had the time to build this, much less the tops. I have since put the egg on a table nest as well. First 5 hour rib smoke and I cracked the granite. It closed up when the egg cooled off, it's sealed with epoxy now. Lesson learned the hard way :(

I used AirStone from Lowes, glued to hardiboard over a pressure treated 2x4 frame wrapped in roofing felt.

Questions/comments welcome.

Comments