Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new 'nest'

The growing family (now at 7) was quickly outgrowing our large egg. 3 years ago when I bought it, I almost went back and got the XL but had sticker shock and stuck with the XL, and for just our family it was fine, but any time we had company I was doing multiple rounds on the grill. I have finally accepted that we need the bigger egg, and the wife is convinced the cost is worth it after eating on the egg for 3 years. A buddy from work bought my large and the basic table I made for it. The wife also wanted a 'built in' look, she was tired of looking at all my grilling accessories on the deck in tupperware containers.

Old Nest:

New Nest:

I used a local granite guy who had some remnants that fit the bill to keep costs down. I thought about poured concrete, granite tile, but in the end I barely had the time to build this, much less the tops. I have since put the egg on a table nest as well. First 5 hour rib smoke and I cracked the granite. It closed up when the egg cooled off, it's sealed with epoxy now. Lesson learned the hard way :(

I used AirStone from Lowes, glued to hardiboard over a pressure treated 2x4 frame wrapped in roofing felt.

Questions/comments welcome.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow, that looks really nice. I like the platesetter area, nice touch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Very nice.  Beautiful!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Outstanding
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks good. I can't believe that the granite cracked.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very nice! It looks quite slick :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great. I like the work areas on either side of the egg.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Awesome.  I was going to build that almost exactly until I found my premade island.

Garnerville, NY
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That's very nice.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome! Great job.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Really really nice looking.  You could have a secondary means of income if you wanted it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tulocay said:
    Looks great. I like the work areas on either side of the egg.
    +1

Opelika, Alabama
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I love that!  Congrats!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Very Nice
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• I like.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    +5 or 6. Great job, really nice!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    SWEET!!!
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • It really is nice. Do you have any written plans on how you did it?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Wow. I hate to break it to you but that is not a nest. It is one kick ass looking spot to park your egg, but nest, I don't think so - excellent looking "nest" as you call it. ^:)^
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Very nice!  Great job!  WHat about the cabinet doors and the drawers, did you get the standard stainless steel BBQ island types?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Wow! Great job! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • A job well done !!I'm shocked that the granite cracked thou I assume the granite that cracked was the one under the egg
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Very cool, nice upgrade
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    very nice  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very impressive. Bummer about the cracked granite.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Beautiful job!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • rprice54 said:

The growing family (now at 7) was quickly outgrowing our large egg. 3 years ago when I bought it, I almost went back and got the XL but had sticker shock and stuck with the XL, and for just our family it was fine, but any time we had company I was doing multiple rounds on the grill. I have finally accepted that we need the bigger egg, and the wife is convinced the cost is worth it after eating on the egg for 3 years. A buddy from work bought my large and the basic table I made for it. The wife also wanted a 'built in' look, she was tired of looking at all my grilling accessories on the deck in tupperware containers.

Old Nest:

New Nest:

I used a local granite guy who had some remnants that fit the bill to keep costs down. I thought about poured concrete, granite tile, but in the end I barely had the time to build this, much less the tops. I have since put the egg on a table nest as well. First 5 hour rib smoke and I cracked the granite. It closed up when the egg cooled off, it's sealed with epoxy now. Lesson learned the hard way :(

I used AirStone from Lowes, glued to hardiboard over a pressure treated 2x4 frame wrapped in roofing felt.

rprice54 said:

Old Nest:

New Nest:

• rprice54
    rprice54 Posts: 39
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

Yes, it was the granite under the egg that cracked. The crack started in the middle of the egg and went straight forward. Didn't go through to the back, very weird. My best guess is that the granite under the egg was hot and wanted to expand, and the granite around the perimeter was cool, and it broke from the inside out. You can't see it until you're right on top of it. Bummer, but still usable.

I really like the sides myself, I use the left as prep area for raw meats, etc, and the right as a 'clean' area for other stuff.

Stainless doors/drawers are Sunstone from Amazon (google sunstonegassgrills).

I do have sketchup files for these. Lemme see if I can post them...
  • Beautifiul "nest".  Wish I had those skills.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014