Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question About Adam Perry Lang Ribeye Recipe

Options
Going to make the Cowboy Ribeye recipe from the APL Serious Barbecue cookbook, but I'm confused about how to interpret one of the directions in it.  The recipe says to preheat your grate to "high", which he defines as 525; then throw the meat on, close the lid, and lower the heat to "medium", which he defines as 450.  Since we eggers can't exactly bring down temperature very easily, how do you interpret that directive?  Do you just cook the steak at 450 dome temp and forget about preheating to "high"?  Do you stabilize at 525, throw the steaks on and then attempt to bring it down to 450?  What do you all think?
Southern California

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I would modify a trex. Sear pull and rest drop temp and return for roast
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    I remember reading that, and I think it's about as nit-noidy as using a basting brush made out of herbs.  
    Personally, I would heat up Mr. Egg to 450 and go from there.  A hotter grate might give you slightly darker grill marks; if I was really concerned about that I'd heat up the grill with a looflighter or propane torch and then plop the steak on.  
    My two scent's worth...  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I would modify a trex. Sear pull and rest drop temp and return for roast
    Yeah, I was considering this.  Sounds like what APL is going for is a quick sear before dropping the temp.  Trex would accomplish that.  Though I don't know if I'm going to go lava on it, which is what I'd normally do with a Trex.  Maybe I'll throw it on at 525, sear it for a bit there and then pull it until the temp drops down to 450.  Only thing that gives me pause is the temp differential.  In the Trex method, the sear is done at lava temps, which, at least for me, get above 700.  The rest of the cook is completed at 400.  That's a difference of over 300 degrees between the sear and the cook.  The APL directions urging you to start at 525 before dropping down to 450 amount to only a difference of 75 degrees between the initial sear and the ensuing cook.  I think I'll try it to those specifications, but it definitely strikes me as a curious temp differential.
    Southern California
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    With a thick rib eye I don't think it matters on the egg. Go for 450º start to finish. 
    Reminds me of oven searing a roast, toss it in at 500º (hot as the oven will go) then lower temp to 325º. I think an egg at 450º will have the same grid/air sear effect as a gasser at 525, then lowered to 450. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!