Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best way to re-heat brisket?

Options
bbqlearner
bbqlearner Posts: 760
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Planning a brisket cook this weekend but will be short on time. So, I was thinking of cooking it ahead of time and then, re-heating it. Have anyone done this before? Any practical experience or tips to help me out? What IT do you cook it the first time? How did you re-heat? What do you use and how long?

Thanks for sharing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    For a whole brisket, I'd either use the oven or put it back on the Egg, around 275.
    When I chop a chunk off my leftovers just for myself, I wrap it in foil and steam it.

I go for an internal temp of 200, and sometimes a bit higher if it still feels a bit stiff (you'll get a feel for a properly-cooked one with just a bit of practice).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I've only done it once and made it up as I went, but I got good results.  I cooked it initially until it was done - probe went in like "buttah" at a meat temp of 201, so I took it off.  I let it sit in foil for about an hour (I don't think this step is necessary, I just wasn't sure what else to do with a brisket that I wouldn't serve for 13 more hours).  Then I put the foiled brisket in the refrigerator. Just like @Botch, I put it on the oven at 275, because 300 seemed too hot and I thought it might not just "warm" it, but it would "cook" it more - and I didn't want that.  In about an 1 hour and 15 minutes it was above room temperature so I put it in a cooler with towels (FTC) and transported it to a party.  I sliced it at the party.  Some native Texan BBQ foodies told me it was as good as any brisket they had ever eaten so I guess it worked.  If I had it to do over again, the only thing I would change is that I would rewarm it a little longer to get it to a higher temperature... although once you slice it, it will be at room temp in about 5 minutes so it probably doesn't matter.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX