Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you get char on chicken without drying it out?

Options
Made chicken kabobs tonight. I was really looking to get a nice char on the exterior. I succeeded to that end, but I dried the chicken out a little bit in the process. I had them going at 350, flipping every 5 minutes or so. Probably had them in there around 25-30 mins. Would bumping the temp to 375 or 400 next time be better? That way, I figure I'd get the char on the outside sooner, giving the inside less time to dry out. I was also thinking about trying a reverse sear kind of thing, hitting it with higher heat just when the inside starts to approach the right level of wellness? What do you all think? Anyone know how to get chicken nice and juicy inside and good and charred outside?
Southern California

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    How close to the fire was it?  On a raised grid?  I've cooked chicken high in the dome before and it comes out more "baked" than grilled.  Still good and juicy, just lacking the char you speak of.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    For smaller pieces of chicken cut for Kabobs you might try hotter temp for shorter period... Maybe 400-450.  Try that for 15 - 20 min total.  Flip as needed.

Long Island, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    425/450 and use boneless skinless thighs. i also use a marinade of roasted garlic, 2 tablespoons soy,1 tablespoon fish sauce, half teaspoon sugar and a squeeze of lime for about 2 hours. goes good with that red thai dipping sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    radamo said:
    For smaller pieces of chicken cut for Kabobs you might try hotter temp for shorter period... Maybe 400-450.  Try that for 15 - 20 min total.  Flip as needed.

For souvlaki, using chicken breast and a CI grid on the fire ring, a good 400º fire will produce excellent char marks in under 15 minutes. 
    until you get the hang of it try 450º using a raised direct grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Great.  Thank you all for the help!
    Southern California