Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb boneless prime rib ?

Options
AUWAG
AUWAG Posts: 73
I bought a 5 lb boneless prime rib I plan to do on the egg this evening. I've read several suggestions on here but was curious how you set the egg up(plate setter temp etc) and what you rub the meat with. Was thinking salt pepper and maybe some dizzy pit cow lick. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    It sounds like you have a good plan with your rub. I've done these anywhere between 275 and 325 and they always turn out great. I pull at 115 to 120 because I have some who want it on the rare side of medium rare and it ends up about 125 in the center. The slices toward the end will be medium and the actual end slices will have some crust on 1 side and be pink on the other side (my favorite). If you want a seared crust on the outside you can pull 10 degrees sooner. However, I have done a reverse sear on the whole roast and in my opinion, it doesn't seem to make it better and it increases the temp of the outer portion of the meat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I've done standing rib roasts several different ways. The last was boneless and I did a reverse sear. Cooked raised indirect, at 250 I think, pulled at 120 (2 1/2 hours IIRC for a three bone roast).  Used the original BGE grid on the fire ring, brought temp up to 500 or so and seared all sides until 130. Loosely covered and we enjoyed it at about 135. See my avatar pic  :D

Rubbed with a paste I made with EVOO, crushed rosemary, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  Covered the whole roast generously. FYI, when I have done it with the bone on, I've untied the roast, rubbed between the bones and roast and put several sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary. Tasty!!!  

Good info at www.amazingribs.com about a lot of stuff, including standing rib roasts. 

Enjoy, should be a very nice cook. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Reverse sear. Cook indirect with mild smoke until an internal of around 120. Pull it and ramp up for a quick sear - just a minute or so on all sides. Pull and rest for 20 minutes or so.

South SLO County