Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Beef ribs time

MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Lets try this again.

Eating at 1730 tomorrow. Throwing beef ribs on, egg will be at 250 indirect. How long will it take. Beef back ribs

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I have absolutely no idea but good luck with them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,565
    @ 250 no idea but I turbo cooked mine at 350 for 2 hrs and they were perfectly tender and tasty!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,240
    I'm guessing you are looking at 2-3 hours max at 250 going direct.
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
    edited July 2013

Thanks man, just edited for indirect.

I'm just assuming these wont need as long as the pork. Gonna give the pork ribs 5ish hours. So maybe put these on after an hour or so

• JaredMDJaredMD Posts: 59
    I did a 3-2-1 on some beef ribs last week at around 275 and they turned out great.. at 3 hours, though, I was glad to be wrapping them because they needed it.. not sure how long you'd need to go straight at 250 with no wrap
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I cook beef back ribs in the 275-300 range for about 3 1/2 hrs (no foil, spritz, or sauce). Cooking the same way but at 250 I'd guesstimate close to 4 1/2 hrs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,546

Somehow, this eludes me. I have spent $ and time and am yet to make at least edible plate of beef ribs. I have tried and tried. The thought of a beautiful rack of beef ribs sends me into a state of euphoria, but am just not able to get there.

I can do BB ribs but not this.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

Chattanooga, TN.

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,125
    Lets try this again. Eating at 1730 tomorrow. Throwing beef ribs on, egg will be at 250 indirect. How long will it take. Beef back ribs

Try this, I've been doing this way for awhile now and they always turn out good. You'll be cooking at 325 indirect. The overall time is 3 1/4 hours. 1-1/4 hours bone side down, 1-1/4 hours foiled, rest 15 minutes in the foil, remove from foil, sauce and back on for 1/2 hour.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,330
    This is a tough one...I searched the interwebs and find lots of different answers.  Some sites say 3 hours low n slow, some say 5-6.  I think your plan of 4 hours sounds good- that's what I would do. If it looks like they are not gonna be ready you can always foil them to speed them along and help them catch up to the pork ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,328
    Totally depends on how much meat. I've had racks take about 3 hours some closer to 5. On average I usually ink mine take 4 to 4.5 hours. Definitely look for major pull back.
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,371
    I used that dino bones recipe from "nibble me this" a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Best ribs I have ever made. Prior to this my beef ribs were good but not great. I used the same recipe for beef short ribs last week and they also came out perfect.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    Thanks guys. Ill look up that recipe. Just put pork ribs on and about to prep the beef.

Pull membrane?

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,111
    edited July 2013
    I always try to pull membrane on any ribs I cook (either species). Good luck, let us know how it goes. So far I've had better success with pork...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    Thanks @black_badger
    I figured at 8$ a rack it was worth a try

These were killer. A 4 hour cook at 250 grate. Black pepper, sea salt, cayene, garlic. Wrapped in foil with butter for the last hour. Absolutely amazing. I need to get by Kroger while they are still on sale and buy a few to freeze.

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,537
    Four hours is about what I plan for ribs of all kinds.  Would love to see pics.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

The pull back is very impressive with the big bone. I always get rushed with company when the food is coming off and to the table and got zero pics of the beef ribs #-o