Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs time

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Lets try this again.

Eating at 1730 tomorrow. Throwing beef ribs on, egg will be at 250 indirect. How long will it take. Beef back ribs

XLBGE 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea but good luck with them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    @ 250 no idea but I turbo cooked mine at 350 for 2 hrs and they were perfectly tender and tasty!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'm guessing you are looking at 2-3 hours max at 250 going direct.
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited July 2013
    Options
    @hapster

Thanks man, just edited for indirect.

I'm just assuming these wont need as long as the pork. Gonna give the pork ribs 5ish hours. So maybe put these on after an hour or so

XLBGE 
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Options
    I did a 3-2-1 on some beef ribs last week at around 275 and they turned out great.. at 3 hours, though, I was glad to be wrapping them because they needed it.. not sure how long you'd need to go straight at 250 with no wrap
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I cook beef back ribs in the 275-300 range for about 3 1/2 hrs (no foil, spritz, or sauce). Cooking the same way but at 250 I'd guesstimate close to 4 1/2 hrs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Somehow, this eludes me. I have spent $ and time and am yet to make at least edible plate of beef ribs. I have tried and tried. The thought of a beautiful rack of beef ribs sends me into a state of euphoria, but am just not able to get there.

I can do BB ribs but not this.

:(

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Lets try this again. Eating at 1730 tomorrow. Throwing beef ribs on, egg will be at 250 indirect. How long will it take. Beef back ribs

Try this, I've been doing this way for awhile now and they always turn out good. You'll be cooking at 325 indirect. The overall time is 3 1/4 hours. 1-1/4 hours bone side down, 1-1/4 hours foiled, rest 15 minutes in the foil, remove from foil, sauce and back on for 1/2 hour.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is a tough one...I searched the interwebs and find lots of different answers.  Some sites say 3 hours low n slow, some say 5-6.  I think your plan of 4 hours sounds good- that's what I would do. If it looks like they are not gonna be ready you can always foil them to speed them along and help them catch up to the pork ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Totally depends on how much meat. I've had racks take about 3 hours some closer to 5. On average I usually ink mine take 4 to 4.5 hours. Definitely look for major pull back.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I used that dino bones recipe from "nibble me this" a couple of weeks ago and they were great. Best ribs I have ever made. Prior to this my beef ribs were good but not great. I used the same recipe for beef short ribs last week and they also came out perfect.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks guys. Ill look up that recipe. Just put pork ribs on and about to prep the beef.

Pull membrane?

XLBGE 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I always try to pull membrane on any ribs I cook (either species). Good luck, let us know how it goes. So far I've had better success with pork...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks @black_badger
    I figured at 8$ a rack it was worth a try

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    These were killer. A 4 hour cook at 250 grate. Black pepper, sea salt, cayene, garlic. Wrapped in foil with butter for the last hour. Absolutely amazing. I need to get by Kroger while they are still on sale and buy a few to freeze.

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Four hours is about what I plan for ribs of all kinds.  Would love to see pics.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    The pull back is very impressive with the big bone. I always get rushed with company when the food is coming off and to the table and got zero pics of the beef ribs #-o

XLBGE