Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL Grid Extender rib cook

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I got up in the wee hours of the morning today to cook 4 racks of spares and 2 baby backs for a farewell potluck for one of my employees. The grid extender with a 20" upper grid worked great:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I managed to get a cell pic of the last rack as the feeding frenzy was subsiding: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I'm really enjoying the grid extender. Thanks again to all who made the group buy a success!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA
·

Comments

• hotwheelshotwheels Posts: 73
    Wow!! That has to be the best looking ribs I've ever seen

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    Wow, those look great.....
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,989
    any chance I could get a job.. haha
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited July 2013
    hotwheels said:
    Wow!! That has to be the best looking ribs I've ever seen

Wow, those look great.....

Thanks for the compliments!

BYS1981 said:
    any chance I could get a job.. haha

The team member we're losing is an BGE owner. Perhaps I should suggest we add "must own & cook on a BGE" to the candidate qualifications on the job description. ;) You'd meet that qualification!
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    great looking ribs. any specifics? smoke? temp? foil? thanks
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,989
    haha. I'd be applying if I didn't just get my dream job
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774

Where did you find the 20 inch grill?

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Those ribs look incredible, please share your secrets!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

·
    td66snrf said:

I'm using the 20" porcelain coated grid that came with the BGE two-tier accessory. If I didn't already have a 20" grid, I would probably order a 20" SS grid from CGS (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/20-round-stainless-grid-xl/).
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    R2Egg2Q said:
    td66snrf said:

I'm using the 20" porcelain coated grid that came with the BGE two-tier accessory. If I didn't already have a 20" grid, I would probably order a 20" SS grid from CGS (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/20-round-stainless-grid-xl/).
    R2Egg2Q   thanks
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,822
    I dont know how they tasted but those look amazing. Strong work. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Where on earth did you get such a good looking pig product?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
    Here's some details on the ribs & cook.

All ribs were from the local Safeway. 4 racks of "Open Nature" natural ribs (2 bbs, 2 Stl Spares). Other 2 spares were Smithfield that I trimmed to a Stl cut.

Temps during the cook read about 255-270 on an oven thermo on the lower grid. Upper grid was reading some crazy temps around 325-330 on my Maverick which I've had problems with often reading high (even in boiling water check). Dome thermo read around 270-285 and I believe the upper grid was probably in that range. Drip pan was on ceramic feet on top of platesetter and left dry.

These ribs were cooked about 2 hrs (thinner racks) to about 2 hrs 15 mins, foiled and swapped positions between upper & lower grids to balance out temp difference. Foiled for a little under 1 hr w/a little honey & brown sugar. Removed from foil for about 20-30 mins with sauce applied about 10-15 mins before pulling them. Times varied a little depending on the thickness of the racks and when each passed the bend test. I don't take internal temps on ribs.

Rubs used: Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and Plowboys Yardbird. No mustard or other binder used.
    Sauce: approx 80% Blues Hog original, 20% Dreamland BBQ sauce (from the Elfster swap) to thin the sauce a little.
    Spritz: no spritz this time as I got a little sleep after putting them on.
    Wood: 2 chunks cherry, 1 hickory. Allowed to smoke about 15-20 mins before putting ribs on.
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,666
    Nice work.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,742
    did that employee ask for his job back after sampling those ribs. They look awesome. Nice Work :-c
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    You da man, John. I think Smitty is rubbing off on you. :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Those are some of the best ribs I have ever seen. Makes me want to cook some this weekend!
    ·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 355
    Great looking ribs.  Well done!
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
    ·