Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Grid Extender rib cook

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I got up in the wee hours of the morning today to cook 4 racks of spares and 2 baby backs for a farewell potluck for one of my employees. The grid extender with a 20" upper grid worked great:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I managed to get a cell pic of the last rack as the feeding frenzy was subsiding: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I'm really enjoying the grid extender. Thanks again to all who made the group buy a success!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Options
    Wow!! That has to be the best looking ribs I've ever seen

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    any chance I could get a job.. haha
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited July 2013
    Options
    hotwheels said:
    Wow!! That has to be the best looking ribs I've ever seen

Wow, those look great.....

Thanks for the compliments!

BYS1981 said:
    any chance I could get a job.. haha

The team member we're losing is an BGE owner. Perhaps I should suggest we add "must own & cook on a BGE" to the candidate qualifications on the job description. ;) You'd meet that qualification!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    great looking ribs. any specifics? smoke? temp? foil? thanks
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    haha. I'd be applying if I didn't just get my dream job
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Where did you find the 20 inch grill?

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Those ribs look incredible, please share your secrets!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    td66snrf said:

I'm using the 20" porcelain coated grid that came with the BGE two-tier accessory. If I didn't already have a 20" grid, I would probably order a 20" SS grid from CGS (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/20-round-stainless-grid-xl/).

Bay Area, CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    td66snrf said:

I'm using the 20" porcelain coated grid that came with the BGE two-tier accessory. If I didn't already have a 20" grid, I would probably order a 20" SS grid from CGS (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/20-round-stainless-grid-xl/).
    R2Egg2Q   thanks
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I dont know how they tasted but those look amazing. Strong work. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Where on earth did you get such a good looking pig product?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Here's some details on the ribs & cook.

All ribs were from the local Safeway. 4 racks of "Open Nature" natural ribs (2 bbs, 2 Stl Spares). Other 2 spares were Smithfield that I trimmed to a Stl cut.

Temps during the cook read about 255-270 on an oven thermo on the lower grid. Upper grid was reading some crazy temps around 325-330 on my Maverick which I've had problems with often reading high (even in boiling water check). Dome thermo read around 270-285 and I believe the upper grid was probably in that range. Drip pan was on ceramic feet on top of platesetter and left dry.

These ribs were cooked about 2 hrs (thinner racks) to about 2 hrs 15 mins, foiled and swapped positions between upper & lower grids to balance out temp difference. Foiled for a little under 1 hr w/a little honey & brown sugar. Removed from foil for about 20-30 mins with sauce applied about 10-15 mins before pulling them. Times varied a little depending on the thickness of the racks and when each passed the bend test. I don't take internal temps on ribs.

Rubs used: Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and Plowboys Yardbird. No mustard or other binder used.
    Sauce: approx 80% Blues Hog original, 20% Dreamland BBQ sauce (from the Elfster swap) to thin the sauce a little.
    Spritz: no spritz this time as I got a little sleep after putting them on.
    Wood: 2 chunks cherry, 1 hickory. Allowed to smoke about 15-20 mins before putting ribs on.

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice work.
    Seattle, WA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    did that employee ask for his job back after sampling those ribs. They look awesome. Nice Work :-c
    Large, small, and a mini
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    You da man, John. I think Smitty is rubbing off on you. :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    Those are some of the best ribs I have ever seen. Makes me want to cook some this weekend!
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Great looking ribs.  Well done!
    Rich
    Long Island, NY