Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder plank salmon

Went to the freezer and picked out a beautiful package of salmon.  After thawing, I seasoned with raging river and maple syrup for glaze.  Fired up the egg and added a chunk of alder.  Found an alder plank in the garage, opened a bottle of pinot noir and the rest is history. 

Comments

• Looks great.  Just curious, I've used alder a few times, but really didn't notice any smokiness in the salmon as opposed to the times I've used cedar planks.  Did throwing the chunks in help?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Looks good, must take a look in the freezer, thanks for the nudge. 
    Alder is milder than cedar, but in my experience, provides a better flavour. From my perspective, cedar is cheaper so I tend to use it more often, but alder provides a much better taste. I do indirect at 400 or so on a soaked plank. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice indeed!  I haven't seen the alder planks near me, but I have seen alder chips.  I think "alder smoked salmon" is on the menu for this evening. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lots of people like the cedar planks but I prefer the alder.  I just do not care for the "turpentine" taste from the cedar.  Alder chunks/chips/smoke is perfect with salmon.
  • fishtale
    fishtale Posts: 2
    Skiddymarker said to do the salmon on alder, indirect at 400. How long do you let it go?
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    alder is a good way to go if you don't want a real smokey flavor,  very mild in my experience,  I always use alder planks, looks good.
    :D