Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Steel - Maiden Voyage

Options
TFols
TFols Posts: 241
image PS Legs down, inverted Woo, BS, 600 dome imageimage About 6mins. Came out good. I need to dial it in a little. Bottom came out perfect, need to get the top a little more done.
Bloomfield, NJ

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Bottom looks great! You're definitely high enough. What kind of dough are you using?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TFols
    Options
    @cazzy I cheat, I buy it from a local pizzeria. I want to try making my own but have limited time due to having a 2yo running around.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    To get the top to finish I have had better luck preheating the egg at 500 and then when the pizza goes on open the vents fully and cook about 10 minutes. Final temp usually ends up around 600.
  • cazzy
    Options
    TFols said:

@cazzy I cheat, I buy it from a local pizzeria. I want to try making my own but have limited time due to having a 2yo running around.

I have a soon to be 3yo and 6mon so I understand. However, it's really easy as you can just make it the evening before after your kiddo goes to bed.

Do you have a stand mixer?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Lit said:

To get the top to finish I have had better luck preheating the egg at 500 and then when the pizza goes on open the vents fully and cook about 10 minutes. Final temp usually ends up around 600.

+1
    this is how I get the best results as well.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Congrats... great looking crust. And while I agree with cazzy about making your own, there is nothing wrong with using a proven product to get technique right.
    Now I want pizza at 8 am.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • TFols
    Options
    Lit said:

@Lit thanks, I'll give that a go next week.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • TFols
    Options
    cazzy said:

TFols said:

I have a soon to be 3yo and 6mon so I understand. However, it's really easy as you can just make it the evening before after your kiddo goes to bed.

Do you have a stand mixer?
    @cazzy I'll have to give it a shot. Yes, I do have a KA.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I had a very similar result to you.  I made 6 pizzas.  My set up was Placesetter legs up, Grate on top of that then my DIY raised grid set 7cm's above the felt.  I preheated to 600.  6 minutes is about what I pulled my first pizza out at.  I learned, with the steel, the pizza requires more turning than the stone. I learned that on my first pizza, she got a bit dark in the crust. 

I dialed the dome temp back to 500 and cooked a bit longer maybe 7-8 mns,  and I got much better results the top browned nicely and the crust crisped up great.

For ingredients I cheated, I purchased preformed dough from a small privately owned pizzeria near our house.  It is phenomenal.  Earlier in the day I egged 2 different types of chicken breast, Italian balsamic and Buffalo chicken.  I also egged a flank steak and made meatballs.
    So you will notice I don't have pictures....Well baking 6 pies for 15 people takes a bit of running.  I was busy making pies while one was on the egg.  I just did not have time.
    I made the following pizzas:  Meatball Portabella w fresh basil, Flank Steak, balsamic Chicken and Portabella, Buffalo Chicken and finally a Neoplloitan.  

The review from my guests?  Well they all claimed it was the best pizza they ever ate. I must admit I think it was.  It was phenomenal.  The crust has a crunch that I was never able to get on stone.  Specifically the crust had a crisp, the crisp was a just a thin layer and was not tough AT ALL.  The crust was airy and bubbly, it had a snap to it and yet was easily chewed, 
    I am extremely satisfied with this product as were my guests. Sorry pictures next time, I am already craving more pizza, might be my favorite thing to cook on the egg after last night.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Ok. There are many great recipes out there and you'll never go back after you start making your own.

I personally use this recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

I use one of zippy's recipe for deep dish. Several people really like Alton Brown's recipe.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice! Let the baking steel pr0n begin! The crust looks great. I wonder if closing the top vent for the few minutes that the pie cooks will help any? I've always wondered whether the pie being high up in the dome close to the open top vent is as hot?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TFols
    Options
    cazzy said:

Ok. There are many great recipes out there and you'll never go back after you start making your own.

I personally use this recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

I use one of zippy's recipe for deep dish. Several people really like Alton Brown's recipe.

Thanks for the recipe @cazzy. I'm going to give the tipo one a shot first. When you divide it up how big of a pie do you get?
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • cazzy
    Options
    One batch usually gives me about 3 14" pies.

Try to find the red bag of caputo 00 flour locally...I found mine at Whole Foods. If you have a organic/clean eating type of super market, i would start there. They also sell it on amazon.

I bought the 50lb blue caputo pizzeria flour. King Arthur also sells 00 flour from what I've heard.
  • TFols
    Options
    cazzy said:

Try to find the red bag of caputo 00 flour locally...I found mine at Whole Foods. If you have a organic/clean eating type of super market, i would start there. They also sell it on amazon.

I bought the 50lb blue caputo pizzeria flour. King Arthur also sells 00 flour from what I've heard.

Got some.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • cazzy
    Options
    TFols said:

cazzy said:

Got some.
    Sweet!!!

• They_Call_Me_Biscuit
    Options

Cazzy, if I remember correctly you're in San Antonio, right? Did you find the 50lb blue locally or had to order through amazon? Been looking for 50lb locally in S.A., but haven't had luck. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX