Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread and Butter Pickle Chicken. Zero carbs. SWMBO says 10/10

egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Chicken was marinated in Dizzy Pig Dust, Soy and Fish sauce. I basted the chicken during the cook with sugar free pickle juice that Aleta made. I made the sacrifice and finished off the pickles when the chicken was marinating.  The salty, sweet, spicy was good. SWMBO Score 10/10, not bad for $.59 lb. chicken.
1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sounds interesting. Looks fantastic!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Ok, looks quite good...I use Dizzy products, but can I ask you for the recipe ( proportions )??
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • egger ave
    I will post the recipe tomorrow.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Many thanks, egger-ave
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    @egger_ave - Sounds great, but what exactly do you mean by "fish sauce"?

Tim
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    ratcheer said:

Tim
    It is powerful stuff and amazing.  Thai Fish Sauce, a little goes a long way.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ratcheer said:

Tim
    Fish sauce is a thai sauce that comes from fermented fish.  Sounds gross...smells worse...for some reason is magical on meat :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    ratcheer said:

Tim
    Fish sauce is fermented anchovies.  It enhances the flavor of most anything you put it in, like sauces, hamburger meat, etc.  It brings out the "umami", which is a savoriness that many people consider the sixth sense.  Typically, you would buy Asian fish sauce (like Three Crabs brand) but it also is made in Italy and is called "colatura".  It is an old process that dates back to Roman times.

By the way, don't drink it straight - it tastes and smells awful (which is lost when mixed with the food)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    @egger_ave that looks great.  This is a really interesting idea to use the stuff in a pickle jar.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    @Village Idiot
    Good job posting the pic of the label.  I tried another brand and really prefer the one with the 3 crabs.

Fermented anchovies....Interesting.
    I guess that's why I like Worcestershire Sauce.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    ratcheer said:

Tim
    Fish sauce is fermented anchovies.  It enhances the flavor of most anything you put it in, like sauces, hamburger meat, etc.  It brings out the "umami", which is a savoriness that many people consider the sixth sense.  Typically, you would buy Asian fish sauce (like Three Crabs brand) but it also is made in Italy and is called "colatura".  It is an old process that dates back to Roman times.

By the way, don't drink it straight - it tastes and smells awful (which is lost when mixed with the food)
    always been a fan of the three crabs. tried some of the italian stuff and still like the three crabs better and its about 5 bucks an ounce cheaper
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Logger said:

I guess that's why I like Worcestershire Sauce.
    Yes, worcestershire sauce has been called the "western fish sauce".  I read an interesting story once about a rich Englishman who went to India and had something like fish sauce.  He came home and hired two pharmacists to come up with the recipe.  They tried and everyone thought it failed.  So, they put it on the shelf for a few months, and when revisited, everyone liked it.  Their names were Lea & Perrins.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    You had me at Fish Sauce.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    @egger_ave - I was hoping you would post this recipe because 10/10 recipes, especially low carb, are something special.  Pretty please?? 
    Flint, Michigan
  • egger ave
    edited May 2013
    Recipe in two parts. The pickles are not hard to make and taste a lot better than store bought. I consider them zero carbs when made with Splenda.

Bread and Butter Pickles (Sweet and Sour) from Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning Author Chelsea Green ISBN 978-1-933392-59-2 (on Amazon)  Excellent book btw.

Cucumbers
    1-1/2 tbs salt
    11/2 tbs sugar (Used 3 tbs Splenda instead.*)
    Tarragon
    Parsley
    Garlic (Used fresh minced.*)
    White Pearl Onions (Used Shallots because I prefer a more rounded taste.*)
    2 cups Vinegar (Used Cider instead of White.*)
    1 qt canning jar and lid (Used a couple of pint jars instead. Juice for recipe was from one pint jar.*)
    (* is wife's notes)

Use fresh pickle cucumbers for the best texture, wash and dry. Slice them thinner rather than thicker.

In a one-quart jar, combine all ingredients, except vinegar. Boil a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar. Ladle this over the cucumbers while it is still hot and close the jar immediately. Make sure everything you use is sterile.

They are ready to eat in about week. No refrigeration required until opened so long as lid is properly sealed.

Bread and Butter Pickle Chicken

Dizzy Pig Flyin Swine rub
    Soy Sauce
    Fish Sauce
    Olive Oil or Coconut Oil or your choice
    Cayenne
    1 clove Garlic finely minced
    2 tbs of fresh Ginger finely minced 
    Bread and Butter Pickle Juice

Wash and dry 2 lbs of chicken. 

Apply a light coating of oil and season with Dizzy Pig Rub and and a touch of Cayenne.

Mix 1/4 cup of Soy sauce, 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of Fish Sauce, garlic and ginger in a ziplock bag with the seasoned chicken. Add more Soy Sauce and Fish Sauce if you like your chicken saltier.

Marinate the chicken for at least one hour, two is better.

Cook the chicken indirect, basting the chicken with the pickle juice every 15 to 20 minutes, I make one last pass when I take the chicken off the grill. 

Albert Einstein
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Thanks man. I bought some drumsticks today for making this dish! I can't wait to give it a whirl!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    @Fred19Flintstone, let us know how it goes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    edited May 2013
    Thanks man. I bought some drumsticks today for making this dish! I can't wait to give it a whirl!
    ...but I wonder...do you need to wait for the pickles to be "pickled" for a week before you can use them in the recipe?? :)

egger ave
    said:
    They are ready to eat in about week. No refrigeration required until opened so long as lid is properly sealed.

• Fred19Flintstone

...but I wonder...do you need to wait for the pickles to be "pickled" for a week before you can use them in the recipe?? :)

egger ave
    said:

I bought the chicken before the recipe was posted so I have store bought pickles (gasp!). Truth be told, I'm a guy that likes convenience and store bought pickles are convenient.
    Flint, Michigan
  • egger ave
    You can use the pickle solution immediately. No gasp about using store bought pickles. To each his own. I make my own so I can tweak the recipe.

Albert Einstein
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Just having a little fun @egger_ave . I can't wait to try it! Thanks again!
    Flint, Michigan
  • egger ave
    Just having a little fun @egger_ave . I can't wait to try it! Thanks again!

Fred19Flintstone me too. The humor is appreciated. I am an engineer and analyze everything and then tweak it to make it the way I like it, even recipes on the BGE. BTW  The leftover chicken makes a good salad. Have a great weekend.

Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks killer! Nicely done, sir! :)
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

egger ave- Was going to make your bread and butter pickles. Can you give me the amounts for the following;

Tarragon
    Parsley
    Garlic (Used fresh minced.*)
    White Pearl Onions (Used Shallots because I prefer a more rounded taste.*)

Ricky

Boerne, TX