Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Free EggFest

2»

Comments

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for admission to your Eggfest today"

Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    they had an entry area at salado...I mean someone could go around it..I wouldn't want to enforce it... donations may be better
    Didn't VI show the enforcer in his video? Sheriff something or other...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/64201/henapple">henapple</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>bge should give you more than a shirt.. you sold over $30k worth of eggs</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P>Shirt hell, Mr Chicken did they give you a shirt this year? Free is Free.....</P>
    <P>Mr. Chicken and I do this because we enjoy it. Over the 3 years I think we have picked up a couple of shirts and a damn nice (heavy) BGE plate each. I am looking to see what kind of retirement this thing pays....<BR></P>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm serious...a free yeti or mini... you sold 40 eggs in one day. some dealers don't do that in a year.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    It's fine the way it is IMHO. Cooked at Salado for 3 years.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it"...And Salado ain't broke.  You started as a cook's fest and it works just fine. my..2 cents
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    If it was me, i would spread a good meals worth 80-100, evenly around for the cooks in blind donation boxes, this way you get a certain feedback as to how well you cook!! After all, you are having an eggcellent meal!!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777

1) It ain't broke.

2) If you put out buckets for donations for charity I suspect the cooks would donate as much as the tasters - because that's the kind of people they/we are.... drunk and generous and particularly generous when drunk.

3) (Much more controversial and I apologize in advance).  If you are going to do anything charitable, may I suggest that you do something related to injury prevention - maybe even fire/burn prevention in keeping with the theme of outdoor cooking.  Trauma costs US society more years of life (not more lives) than all cancers and all of cardiovascular disease (stroke, heart attack, etc) combined - yet is given trivial amounts of research funds compared to those diseases.  The biggest bang for the buck in any disease is prevention.  So, if you want your small contribution to really make a difference and really save a life then injury prevention is the best place to invest your money.  The problem with prevention programs is that they don't pull at people's heartstrings because the people who avoided the disease are hard to identify except as a statistic in some office where things get counted.  So, nobody comes to you to say "thank you" and nobody gives speeches at fundraisers to say "You saved my life" - but the numbers don't lie.  I'll get off my soapbox now.  And to be honest, I would be equally supportive (philosophically and fiscally) of money for college scholarships for local kids from Salado - especially if it would really be the difference-maker in a kid getting to college, or not.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• double
    double Posts: 1,214

double said:

My opinion fwiw cooks shouldn't pay but tasters should have a donation box with a suggested minimum donation as @henapple said about benefitting a charity or something along those lines.

They tried that but Mickey took the money, got drunk, and paid a visit to a rather nefarious establishment usually frequented by lonely soldiers from nearby Ft. Hood.

Sounds like my kind of charity ...

Lynnwood WA
  • henapple
    @foghorn... get off your soapbox. what are you... like 6' 7". please sit down when you pontificate so I don't have to strain my neck. 8-}
  • Foghorn

henapple said:

@foghorn... get off your soapbox. what are you... like 6' 7". please sit down when you pontificate so I don't have to strain my neck. 8-}
    Oh, were you standing up?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Foghorn said:

henapple said:

Oh, were you standing up?

yeah... on a box.
  • Foghorn
    For the record I want to point out that I was not the tallest guy at Salado.... and just because @henapple remembers standing up during some portion of the event that doesn't necessarily mean that he was able to stand up at the times he and I interacted.  He is, after all, the guy who wrote on here something to the effect of "I'll be the guy down at the river on Friday morning with a case of beer..."

San Antonio, TX

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Griffin said:
    I don't think cooks should have to pay pay since they are working hard and supplying the food. Haven't given much thought to the tasters, but one thing to consider is how are you going to make sure everybody paid? I haven't been to a Salado Eggfest, but it looks pretty open. How do you stop people from just wandering in? Would you have to put up a fence? Who's going to sit at the entrance and monitor it and take money? Do you get a stamp or an wrist band so you can come and go throughout the day? Lots of things I think would have to be considered and that is just what came to mind after 30 seconds of hard thinking.
    I agree 100%. The devil is all in the details. Only have been to the last Saledo fest. It was truly fantastic. How could it be made better? I have no idea.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Mickey ..... Your hittin the nail on the head! Great job and a lot of helping people behind the sceen!! ......it would be cool to have "gathering where we could set up one time...cook for weekend...camp....share.....meet and greet...maybe just cooks....just not enough time for this many awsome people to COOK!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mickey ..... Your hittin the nail on the head! Great job and a lot of helping people behind the sceen!! ......it would be cool to have "gathering where we could set up one time...cook for weekend...camp....share.....meet and greet...maybe just cooks....just not enough time for this many awsome people to COOK!
    My friend we need to head to Fl and that one is in a hotel on the beach Fri/Sun... One set up and a weekend of cooking and adult beverages.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    never been to one but when they have done bbq contests around here they sometimes set up a beer tent with all the local brewerys. 20 to 30 bucks gets you 10  8 ounce beers of your choice. your eggfest will draw alot more people as an eggfest/octoberfest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    I think charging anything would change the feel. I wouldn't mind having some vendors but that may change things with pushy sales. I asked Tom(cgs) why he didn't bring stuff...I know I would've dropped a couple hundred. he just said " this isn't the place". the egg carten maker had a few and we had a great conversation... by his truck parked 600 ft away where he had them hid. I like the looseness of salado and will not miss another if possible. change it and I'll break your mini.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I could see setting up a beer tent and having local breweries give a discount on beers to be sold at cost so you can pimp their breweries, but that would cause legal problems with ID and licensing. Unless you do a "tasting" like at a wine festival.

Otherwise, keep it BYOB.