Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get XLBGE into table?

I just bought a XLBGE and I'm very excited about learning how to smoke meat and use the BGE. I knew that I wanted a table, so when buying the egg I brought it home without a nest. I am most of the way done with building a table but can't figure out how to get it into the table. How did you guys accomplish it? I've thought about taking off the top to lighten the load, but hoped someone here would have a better idea. cmbj

Comments

• cmbj said:
    I just bought a XLBGE and I'm very excited about learning how to smoke meat and use the BGE. I knew that I wanted a table, so when buying the egg I brought it home without a nest. I am most of the way done with building a table but can't figure out how to get it into the table. How did you guys accomplish it? I've thought about taking off the top to lighten the load, but hoped someone here would have a better idea. cmbj
    You have nice neighbors? Teenage boys? Someone at work who owes you a favor?

You can put moving straps underneath and lift with another person. The straps will slide down into the table hole as you release them then you can slide them out once it's set. I would have at least one 'rover" to help balance it out. Those things are heavy and once they get leaning they are hard to stop.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    You have nice neighbors? Teenage boys? Someone at work who owes you a favor?

PREVERT !!!
  • I am still very very new....so the best advise that I can offer is...VERY carefully! Lol. I hope you enjoy your new egg!!
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    I took all the insides out and lifted it from the inside grabbing the opened bottom vent while my wife made sure it didn't tip sideways. . Good luck.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • I second it on taking it apart - very easy to take apart and infinitly easier than moving as an assembly -  i considered moving my XL with my tractor and loader but found it easy to move in pieces
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I move mine by myself. I have to take it apart but it's manageable.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    +1 on Travis's post. Take the dome off, remove the guts and lift. Not too bad.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +2 on Mr. Strickland's post. This is how I moved my dad's from the van to the back patio, then assembled it. I would recommend having someone to help you guide it into the hole or use pot-lifters. This will save backs and fingers.
  • cmbj
    cmbj Posts: 9
    I want to thank everyone for their helpful answers. I am taking your advice and pulling the guts fom the inside and removing the top. Worked some more on building the table tonight and it's coming along nicely. Unfortunately, I live in a small subdivision in the country and everybody is middle age or older with bad backs or previous hernia problems. Can't call on young neighborhood studs for help, but we'll get the job done! My wife is salivating at the thought of me making smoke so I better hurry up!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2013
    Blocks of ice! ...

..wait..

I thought this was the bourbon thread. Sorry for the interruption...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lblanke
    lblanke Posts: 8

i would suggest removing the insides but not the top.  Most dealers will tell you that once you remove the top, you'll never have the same smoker again.  a friend and i were able to put ours in using the moving straps method.  we actually used truck tie-down straps criss-crossed underneath and a beach towel under that to control tilting.  it was surprisingly easy.

i like the blocks of ice idea.  we had a similar concept with an inflatable beach ball.  seriously though, go with the truck tie downs or moving straps.

• CMBJ, Great post !!!! I was in the same spot after finishing my table and now I know how

to proceed.

Thanks to all.

• cmbj
    cmbj Posts: 9
    I ended up removing four hinge bolts that connect the top to the bottom and removed the insides. It was a piece of cake to move it then with my wife. I was careful not to mess with the strap going around the top. The top went back on very quickly and lined up perfectly. I'd rather be lucky than good anyway and I was tickled with the results. Been having fun ever since. Smoke on!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited May 2013
    That's why I like egger BigGreenBBQ's open concept design, no worry with lifting and dropping an XL into a hole, easier for maintenance too.

canuckland