Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp help

Options
I started a brisket at about 1030 pm. Temp 225. On my big green egg. At about 1am. I checked the temp. And it read 230 on egg, 160 on brisket. So i went to bed. When I awoke this morning about 730 am to check it, the temp on he egg was at about 160, and meat temp was at about 146. Now im worried. Can I save th brisket?
XL BGE

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    bump it up and push through may want to check your fire incase it burnt straight down.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Of course. Just raise the temp and keep on truckin. Totally fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LeonKing
    LeonKing Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks for help. I had plenty of charcoal, so i re- lite the coal, and now have it back up to 240 on the egg and meat temp is up to 168. Is the brisket still good to eat? Dont know if this helps in determining if meat is still good to eat. It's a 13lb brisket with a 1/4inch fat cap. Cap side up in smoker. And I just used olive oil and dry rub.
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    LeonKing said:
    Thanks for help. I had plenty of charcoal, so i re- lite the coal, and now have it back up to 240 on the egg and meat temp is up to 168. Is the brisket still good to eat?

Of course. You are all set. Enjoy. Totally safe and will be delicious
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think the food safety issue comes into play if the meat was less than140 for more than 4 hours, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LeonKing
    Options
    Great, i was worried . The brisket temp is now 186 at the flat as i type this. I usually tk it out at 175. Just thought I'd leave it in a bit longer due to the temp drop. Should I take it out now or wait for 200 at the flat
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2013
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think the food safety issue comes into play if the meat was less than140 for more than 4 hours, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Even if it was more than 4, you are totally fine in your egg unless someone sneezed in there while it was cold :). You are totally fine. People's fires go out every weekend. Out of many thousands of posts of fires going out, Not one documented case of anyone getting sick on here after relighting and continuing the cook. Proceed with confidence
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Use the fork test and take it out when it is tender.

You might want to look into a remote thermometer like a Maverick ET732 so you will be alerted if the temperature drops on future cooks.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • LeonKing
    Options
    Funny thing is that I have and am using the maveric. The meat probe is in and is now reading 190. My smoker prob burnt out so not using one.
    XL BGE
  • LeonKing
    Options
    Ok, took it out at 190 temp at the flat. Did the fork test and felt super tender. Fork slid in very easily. Crossing my fingers that it taste great now. No longer worried about it being bad thanks to you all for the great advise.
    XL BGE