Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Hi all

I'm cooking my first brisket and have a few questions.  i have a 8.75lb packer all trimmed and rubbed ready to go.
We would like to eat around 1 or 2 tomorrow so with a 2 to 4 hour FTC at what time and temp should put it on tonight?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    The brisket gurus should be here soon.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    get going asap.  depending on cook temp average time is about 1.5 hrs/pound but they are known for long stalls, you got about a 14 hr cook on your hands.  thats not saying something crazy happens and you have an 8 hr stall.  last one I did barely stalled at 275 dome and it ran 16 hrs on a 11 pounder.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    275 dome equals 1.5 hrs per lb.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    At 275 dome figure 1.25/1.5 hours per lb. So you probably have at least an 11 or 12 hour cook coming up. I would get the egg started up in the next hour or two so you can get it stabilized and the brisket stabilized before bed. Good luck, just stick to you temps and it will come out great.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that regardless of how it goes through the night, you can check the meat temp at 0600 or so and crank up the temp to 300 or so if you need to so that you can get done on time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Just start early and FTC until you are ready to serve. Don't try to time it close... I found that the longer you FTC the better it uns out . RELAX AND JUST DO IT :-c
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    In keeping with my recent trend of hijacking brisket threads, is 195°F in the flat the time to pull and FTC? I know the point is done when it probes like buttah, but I have never had a flat probe like that... have tried IT's of 195, 200, 205, and 210. 

Maybe pull when 195-200 and give it a good long rest for a few hours in the cooler?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Its been on at 275 dome since 845pm its 1030pm now so it should make it for my time line. Its funny how nervous I have gotten for this piece of meat. Weather its because its the first or its for my side of the family easter dinner. I doubt its the last my dad and brother would eat a shoe if someone made it for them guess what being bachelors out on the farm does! I more think its spent $40 bucks on it and want to wreck it
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Its been on at 275 dome since 845pm its 1030pm now so it should make it for my time line. Its funny how nervous I have gotten for this piece of meat. Weather its because its the first or its for my side of the family easter dinner. I doubt its the last my dad and brother would eat a shoe if someone made it for them guess what being bachelors out on the farm does! I more think its spent $40 bucks on it and want to wreck it
    we are all our own toughest critics.  i am sure everyone will rave about it. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    So a report, it has been on for 8 hours and change with a callibrated dome temp of 280. Bark is good IT is from 198 to 203 and slides in and out everywher easily so I have pulled it.

So a question, is it strange that this 8lbs only went 8hours and not the 12 to 16 everyone seems to say?
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I guess not - I have a ~13 lber on now that I think is going to be done somewhere around the 8 to 10 hr mark. But it's my first time too. Hope you get a good result!
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Same to you! just was reading your thread.

Pulled a piece off while FTC and was good so will just have to trust its good.
    I'm lucky enough can move when we are going to eat too, just have to tell my dad and brother its ready and they will be off the farm and here stuffing their pie holes like fat kids on smarties
  • Foghorn
    Options

Same to you! just was reading your thread.

Pulled a piece off while FTC and was good so will just have to trust its good.
    I'm lucky enough can move when we are going to eat too, just have to tell my dad and brother its ready and they will be off the farm and here stuffing their pie holes like fat kids on smarties
    Great visual - and congratulations!

As for the question about time, I have only done a few briskets and 1 hour per pound seems about right for cooking around 275 degrees. I think the 1.5 to 2 hour per pound guideline is for a worst case scenario when cooking really low - around 220 degrees. Hopefully some more seasoned brisket chefs will verify or refute that.

San Antonio, TX