Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One last question about smoking with chunk wood

Several folks replied to my question the other day about using chunk wood in the Egg. I will be firing the egg up bright and early in the morning to do a low and slow on roughly 24 lbs of butt. This will be my 1st voyage on the egg using chunk vs chips, so here's my question. I attempted  as a few here suggested to "stagger" or "layer" the chunk while filling with lump. I realize the difference between "good" smoke and "bad" smoke, if the chunk has been layered, isn't that going to introduce "bad" smoke on occassion through a low n slow?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nope.   Unless you put way too much wood in your fire.
    I put 5 approximately fist sized chunks in, too much?
  • nolaegghead
    hmmmm....that's more than I usually put in, but nothing wrong with that over a low and slow....more wood, more smokey flavor.  All personal preference.
    That is partially the reason I decided to use the chunk b/c I just don't seem to get enough smoke out of the chips, however, I don't want to over do it necessarily either...I guess its try it and see. I'm using pecan if it makes a difference. . .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited March 2013
    <P>"Bad smoke" is a by-product of the VOC's resident within the process of making the lump charcoal-wood chips or chunks will produce "good smoke" so the question is "how much".  I roughly equate a healthy hand-full of chips to a chunk if that helps with the guesstimate.  And whether "Ford or Chevy" (chips vs chunks) disperse throughout the lump load for extended smoke over time.  Enjoy the journey!</P>
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    A big factor is the product you are smoking.  Some cooks can handle heavy smoke, while others cannot.  Two examples are chicken that can be overpowered by smoke taste, while ribs can handle smoke in large amounts.. 
  • When I'm doing butts or briskets I usually use 5 chunks also. I stage them around the edges and one in the middle. So far so good with no complaints yet. Putting on 2 butts tomorrow to take up to the parents Saturday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    When I'm doing butts or briskets I usually use 5 chunks also. I stage them around the edges and one in the middle. So far so good with no complaints yet. Putting on 2 butts tomorrow to take up to the parents Saturday.
    The question is have you tried 3 chunks? The egg is a very good smoker. 
    All personal preference, try one or two less and see if you like it, you might be surprised.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Be mindful of the meat you are cooking, as others noted earlier. Also be mindful one wood you are using. I put four to five pieces bigger than my fist, not by much, for my BBQ. That atleast two or three butts. And I only use pecan.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I definitely put more than five chunks in - more like ten, honestly. But I love the smoke...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• deekortiz3
    deekortiz3 Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    I usually just use two or three (maybe 4). I toss them right on the fire and let them start going as soon as I get the meat on. 

The meat will take on more smoke the colder it is, this will also help the coveted smoke ring establish. Once the meat hits around 130-140 internal the smoke ring will stop being growing.

Instead of layering I would just soak a couple of the chunks. The soaked ones will take a bit longer to get going and stagger your smoke a bit. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Soaking chunks, unless done for a very long time, may not provide much delay if they are touching or near the fire.  The typical soaking period does not result in much water absorption.

I use 4 to 8 chunks depending upon their size.  My mesquite chunks are closer to 2"x2"x2" so I use more.  My fruit wood are probably double that size, so if 3 of the 4 burn that's normally good.  I find the fire tends to burn toward the back first, so I always place one chunk in the back and one directly on the fire so that provides a good start.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    It's not like a stick (offset) smoker where you got a blazing fire with everything lit.  The fuel in an egg burns like a candle.  If you want constant smoke, hide the wood evenly through the lump so it burns when the lump burns.  Pretend you're hiding Easter eggs for the kids.  Some people say season the wood, then they say soak it.  Don't make no sense to me.  Soaking does delay it burning, but the main effect is you get some steam.