Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My first low and slow...

Still a newbie, I've been using my LBGE for grilling - steaks, chicken, burgers.  Started an 8.5 pound Boston Butt last night.  I opted for the low and slow method to test my ability to maintain temp overnight.  I used the Mojo Pork recipe on nakedwiz.

I loaded up the firebox and threw in a few chunks of pecan wood.  I set up the maverick, installed the platesetter, and after the egg stabilized at 230 degrees I started the cook.  Oh, I also used a drip pan filled with apple juice and water.  For the first few hours I made only a couple of small adjustments until the temp was dialed in at 230.  I started the cook at 5:00 pm and by the time I went to bed at 11:30, the meat temp was at 145.  I woke up at 1:30, the alarm on the Maverick woke me up, the grill temp had fallen to 199 (I set the lower alarm at 200).  The meat temp was at 162.  When I went out to check the vents it was pouring rain.  I adjusted the top vent and went back to bed. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and the grill temp was 194 and the meat temp had fallen to 158.  It was still raining so I opened the bottom vent a little more. 

The grill temp recovered pretty quickly and at 9:am, 16 hours into the cook, The grill temp is 230 and meat is at 180.  I plan to pull the meat when it reaches 200.  I haven't opened the egg since the cook started.

What have I learned so far?  Patience - small adjustments will have an affect on the temps if you wait long enough. Also, I am surprised how long a full load of charcoal will last - 16 hours and going strong. If you are going to do a low and slow, the maverick is awesome! 

Here are a couple of pictures I took when I stared, I'll post more at the end of the cook.

Ringgold, Georgia

Comments