Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
I almost always spatchcock my chickens, but I saw my BCC holder in my cabinet and it looked lonely. Decided to fill an empty beer can about halfway with H2O and a little of the marinade (Stubbs Texas Steakhouse Marinade), then shoved it all in the chicken's tooshy. I know it doesn't make the chicken more moist and it takes more time than the spatchcock method, but I have the time and I'm enjoying this awesome weather. :) Finished pix to come.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I haven't done a beer can chicken since i found out about spatchcocked chicken.  keep us posted at your results.  Thanks
  • Dyal_SC
    It was good, but the texture of the skin is far superior with the spatchcock method than the BCC method. :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good.  Try putting the legs up - dark meat needs more heat....
    Yup, I agree....I've seen that done before...makes sense. I think I'll stick with the spatchcock method though, raised direct. Skin is much better that way IMHO. :) I used the BCC holder tonight though just for fun. :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Been a while for me too Dyal. Was going to do one last time but went back Spatchcock. Hard to beat, but your BCC looks solid too =D>
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I'm going to that one alone....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That does sound kinda perverse...

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    how do u put the legs up on the holder????(dumb question?)
    :\">
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Looks good, but I agree with the sentiment here on the forum, spatchcock is the better method. I'm even doing my turkeys this way now too.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks good! I still use my beer can chicken holder to cook one on the small.  I can fit an 7-8 lb bird in the small when it is vertical.  .  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Looks good! I still use my beer can chicken holder to cook one on the small.  I can fit an 7-8 lb bird in the small when it is vertical.  .  

That makes sense. Has anyone done one on the mini other than Fred Bernardo?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    daffy1909 said:
    @Little_Steven does this, I think he just shoves the holder in the neck end. He gets a number of chickens on the egg vertically due to space. No beer can, no juice, just a drip pan or done direct. My son gets three on his gasser and has stopped using any liquid in the holder, it is not the best way to get a chicken cooked. Spatched is better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Not exactly Skiddy. The beauty of doing them inverted is that all the fat from the rear end runs under the skin and bastes the breasts. I use a BGE holder in a drip pan to save the juices. You get a lot! Always a 20* difference between the dark and white meat.

photo P1030639.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dyal_SC
    Did a simple spatchcocked Cornish hen tonight. Raised direct at 375 deg f for about 30 minutes. Didn't flip it at all. Ended up perfect. Skin was amazing. Can't beat it IMHO. :)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Dyal_SC said:
    Did a simple spatchcocked Cornish hen tonight. Raised direct at 375 deg f for about 30 minutes. Didn't flip it at all. Ended up perfect. Skin was amazing. Can't beat it IMHO. :)
    Looks good - a suggestion is to cook with the legs near the hinge, the egg tends t be hotter there, in my MBGE the thighs cook a little more when place nearer the hinge. 

@Little_Steven - that's exactly what I meant, no beer can or added juice, just a drip pan with the holder in the neck...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Blewis212
    Blewis212 Posts: 26
    I have a roaster. Thinking about doing beer can method, placing in a large caste iron skillet with verges. Will verges be too greasey?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    daffy1909 said:

Daffy,

You need a stand that has a narrow neck or even better a point. Staub and Emille Henry have them. The BGE stand works fine but depending on the size of the chicken you might have to clip out an inch or two of the backbone at the neck end.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Blewis212 said:
    I have a roaster. Thinking about doing beer can method, placing in a large caste iron skillet with verges. Will verges be too greasey?

I have done a spatchcocked chicken with a pan of mixed veggies under it  -- carrots-potato-onions and peppers and it really was a hit -- not greasy at all  -- cooked at 350 for about an hour! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Blewis212 said:

I have done a spatchcocked chicken with a pan of mixed veggies under it  -- carrots-potato-onions and peppers and it really was a hit -- not greasy at all  -- cooked at 350 for about an hour! 

Agreed!  The veggies will be delicious cooked in the chicken fat. I learned this method using this recipe.  I have used this technique with all different chicken recipes (spatchcock, thighs, etc) and the veggies always turn out great. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.