Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Advice

Going to do a meatloaf this weekend.  My wife makes a pretty good meatloaf, but usually does it in the oven.  I figured if it is good in the oven, it would be great in the egg.  Just wanted some advice on best setup and maybe time and temp.  Do you cook it on/in anything, or just form the loaf and set in on the cooking grid?

I was thinking  indirect with drip pan at 350 sitting directly on the grill.  I would form the loaf and chill for a few hours and put it on the egg cold.  Was thinking of using either apple or cherry chunks.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    I have done a few meatloafs and there are several threads on it if you search. You are spot on with your thinking, 350 indirect & directly on the grid. I did use a drip pan under it and also used combo of cherry and apple.

Cook until it hits 160 internal. about 2.5 hrs. yum!

good luck
    Woodstock, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Meatloaf can "require" a pan to hold it depending on it's make up??  If it is is thick, it can stand alone.

I just did one two days ago, using "Hap's" trick of substituting blended Cheezits"in place of bread crumbs.  Came out great.  Few years back i made one of my first meatloaf on the egg and used pecan to smoke it --  basically ruined the meatloaf.  The first inch of surface material was just too strong tasting of smoke!!  Be careful with the smoke.  The one i did a few days ago, had a smoky flavor just from the egg -- i added no wood !!   

• Meatloaf has now become one of my favorites and Tuna is correct, be easy on the smoke.  I usually will use just one small chunk of whatever I feel like trying at the time.  Ours are usually not thick enough to stand on their own so we'll go placesetter legs up and put the meatloaf pan on the grid.  We cook at the same temps as mentioned above.  We've tried the cheez-it substitute ( we actually used goldfish) and enjoyed it also.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My meatloaf was about five pounds -- 3 inches thick - eight inches wide -- cooked indirect at gasket level at 350 degrees -- took 1 1/2 hours -- pulled at 155 internal degrees.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Form it into a loaf and right on the felt level grid, indirect with a drip pan. 350 is good and use your normal mix, that way you can judge the effect of the egg. I suggest you use only lump smoke, you will be doing this again, guaranteed. On subsequent cooks. experiment with smoke, to me anything works with meatloaf - it is basically a big flavoured burger, so any wood is good. 
    Our "normal" has now turned into Penzey's English prime rib rub mixed with the burger, crumbs, egg and milk/sour cream. It is all good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I form mine in a loaf pan then turn it upside down and it slides out in shape. Put directly on grate indirect around 350 until 160 or so. Takes around an hour usually
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited March 2013
    Chubbs said:
    I form mine in a loaf pan then turn it upside down and it slides out in shape.
    I do the same, but line the pan with plastic wrap to make sure it comes out nice.  
    Always cook without a pan, smokey goodness everywhere.but like mentioned, ground meat picks up smoke really easy. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    If you have a cast iron grid, it holds the loaf together better than the SS rack.  Slots are narrower and the ribs are wider.  I place it atop the SS rack on my XL as it doesn't balance well on the plate setter legs up.  2 CI parts supported by three legs = wobbly rack.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013
    Chubbs said:
    I form mine in a loaf pan then turn it upside down and it slides out in shape. Put directly on grate indirect around 350 until 160 or so. Takes around an hour usually
    This is how I usually do it, pit temp, internal temp and amount of time almost identical.
    The last time, I went 400 for 45 minutes (155-160 internal), seemed to give it even more of a nice crust and just as good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Chubbs said:
    I do mine exactly like that.  I like it to just go straight on the grate cause I like the crispy edges!
    Large BGE