Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor radio/speaker options

Comments

• Bose Soundlink II is what I have.  It works great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited March 2013
    @mrcookingnurse it is 11x15. My fear is I build a cover and screen in and then it looks tiny, taking to 15x16 or so would be pretty easy I think
    Boom
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @mrcookingnurse it is 11x15. My fear is I build a cover and screen in and then it looks tiny
    That's about the same size as mine.  I have the screened in patio with table and chairs, rack with stereo.  Then directly next to it is a poured concrete patio that is slightly bigger, that has my XL Egg and another table on it.  I love the setup.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    YEMTrey said:

@mrcookingnurse it is 11x15. My fear is I build a cover and screen in and then it looks tiny

That's about the same size as mine.  I have the screened in patio with table and chairs, rack with stereo.  Then directly next to it is a poured concrete patio that is slightly bigger, that has my XL Egg and another table on it.  I love the setup.

Any pictures? My patio is poured concrete. My house is on slab foundation so it's just an extension of that.

Boom
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    I bought this bluetooth speaker recently from Amazon. Works well for my needs and I can take it wherever - camping, garage, patio,  my other cooking areas around the yard (tandoor, pizza oven and drum smoker live in another spot), etc. Sound is great  for the price. I will probably buy another one for the garage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    caliking said:
    I bought this bluetooth speaker recently from Amazon. Works well for my needs and I can take it wherever - camping, garage, patio,  my other cooking areas around the yard (tandoor, pizza oven and drum smoker live in another spot), etc. Sound is great  for the price. I will probably buy another one for the garage. 

+1 Amazing sound comes out of this small thing.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Nola is there anything you can't do? We need to sit and drink someday
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Get an NHT power monitor and an Apple Airport Express and play your iTunes using the Remote app. Your neighbors will soon be enjoying your taste in music. A great speaker.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

henapple said:

Borrow @nolaegghead huge boom box...although it might get "broke" in Salado.

I'll have to chain that ghetto blaster to a tree!

I presume you will use the 1 inch thick 24kt gold chain that is part of the ghetto blaster uniform?
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    robnybbq said:
    Sonos! - Nothing more to say.  I would go with the Polk Atriums for outdoor speakers - they sound great.

+1 for Polk. I have them outside and love them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I use the Polk audio atriums. Apple TV and AirPlay through every room in my house including the yard. Love it!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,654
    Bose outdoors speakers connected to an amplifier in the basement.  Amplifier connected to an airport express.  Streaming from the Mac mini with iTunes library controlled by Apple remote app on iPhone or remote app on android tablet OR streaming directly with airplay from an iDevice.

• I have one of these. Link wirelessly and plays using Airplay capable devices. My Denon A100 reciever is Airplay and also my iPad and iPods. Doesn't lose connection anywhere in the house or outside. Sound great. Can be found online for considerably less than MSRP. http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g17-air
  • I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Jawbone Big Jambox:

We have one and it works great with bluetooth. You can pair them if you like but one has been plenty. Very portable. My daughter uses it more than I do but I can take it into the garage, out by the grill, wherever I want to go. Has a rechargeable battery that lasts for hours. Does not require wireless internet like some speakers. I can even use it as a speaker phone when playing music with my iPhone.

Pandora works fine with it. I have no complaints.
  • Have not personally heard these outdoor monitors from Emotiva, but based on reviews, I will buy them when I get into a new place: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/speakers/products/uom62
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited March 2013
    Take a good look at Sonos. They are really quite cool. I have the "3" and love it. Easy to hook up and connect. Very good sound, you can get two (working on getting the second one) and they then will play stereo. I move mine around the house, into the garage and outside, when egging. You can play tons of streamed radio stations, I play alot of my music library through it. For me it is a really cool way to go. It has an alarm in it, you can wake up to your favourite station or playlist. You can also search out different radio stations in a lot of cities across the country. Good Luck. 
    I do think your egging gets better listen to your favourite tunes.
    :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @ NOLA. Way to go man, you are always coming up with a creative option.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • +1 on Sonos!  Check it out.  Have a few different speakers throughout the house and a great pair of outdoor speakers.  All rooms can play different songs at different volumes, or the same.  control it all with iphone or ipad.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Any pictures? My patio is poured concrete. My house is on slab foundation so it's just an extension of that.
    No problem.  Let me take a look and see what I have on file for pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nola is there anything you can't do? We need to sit and drink someday
    Next time you're in nawlins, lemme know and I'll invite ya over for a brew.
    That sonos looks fancy! I bet I can figure out how to do it with airport with my iPhone an Mac and I'm a little off your original question, but . . . I've been having a lot of fun with iTunes music match. Stores all your songs from your computer and iOS devices to the cloud. We have a couple Airport Express units hooked to speakers and with Airplay, all your favorites at your finger tips. I like to activate the "Genius" option. It will select random songs from albums I haven't listened to in years.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I bought the definitive technology outdoor speakers- they are awesome. Must better than the polk's I had before.
    Greensboro, NC
  • r270ba
    edited March 2013
    My $0.02 is that the Sonos is too damn expensive.  You can do the same thing (provided you have iPhone or iPad) with iTunes, Airport Express/Apple TV ($100 a room), and Airplay.  I have been very pleased with my setup.  So has my father who has a huge house and outdoor multi level entertaining area.  We looked at Sonos for him and the Apple setup was just more cost effective.
    Anderson, SC

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @r270ba you are starting to make a trip to SC sound more rewarding then a trip there to just see the family.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • r270ba
    edited March 2013
    @scottborasjr you gotta wait about 2 more months before my back is finished.  I have 55" outside on the main part of the deck, a 42" going in on the side at the fire pit, and my outdoor kitchen cabinets are in the process of being built.  I will definitely be able to party after all that is complete :)

Oh and did I mention I use the Apple TV to power all my rooms inside and out with audio :))
    Anderson, SC

• Scottborasjr
    @r270ba That just sounds awesome, I was just happy to get the medium out on the deck of my tiny little house.  I'd actually really like to get down there as my great aunt, who is like a second grandmother to me is not well. Unfortunately don't see it happening. Maybe if I can make it down there sometime during football season we will see if the Old Ball Coach can get you guys a SEC championship, or are you a Clemson man?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • r270ba
    Ok so I think I shall retract any invitations to my house...why don't you go hang out with @chubbs and talk about that precious Old Ball Coach of yours :))
    Anderson, SC

• Scottborasjr
    :))
    My Mom is a USC alum, but most of the family are Clemson fans, never been to a game down there but remember driving by Death Valley when going to see my Aunt.  Pretty awesome looking stadium.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,013
    I got this wireless outdoor speaker from Best Buy. It syncs with your TV, iPad, iPhone or any other MP3 player. Great sound for the price IMHO.