Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Heresy

Options
2»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There is an older post on here from a pizza forum where they tried to simulate mellow mushroom dough and not just once it went through numerous revisions of trial and error. The first time I made 1 batch and now everytime I make it I do like 5 batches and freeze them. Its really good.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    @Charlie_tune and his recipe. Very close to mine. The difference is amazing. The important aspect after aging, put your stones not at the highest but the next level if you have a gas stove that gets to 550. I use KS bread flour. I imagine a convection oven would be best; on the radar.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'll admit I can do a Chicago deep dish in the oven that turns out just as good as on the Egg. However, for a NY style or thin crust, I think the Egg beats the oven every time.
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I've never made my own dough for pizza in the oven and do all the time for it on the egg so that may be what I base my opinion on, but I prefer the egg over the oven any day. I'm talking anywhere from 500-700 thin crust pizza. It's not even the same ballpark to me or any of my guests. If you can make it taste great in the oven then please don't take this the wrong way, any great meal works for me regardless of how you get there. I could try my homemade dough in the oven, but I probably won't. I've always enjoyed restaurants that use a wood fired oven and now that I have a version of my own, I love it more than ever. I did 8 pizzas tonight on my small bge over at a friends house using a 00 flour / semolina Jamie Oliver dough recipe and loved it.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @Optiontrader I use Jamie Oliver's recipe with the semolina and really enjoy it. I have used it with King Arthurs bread flour but it is easier to form the pies and has a better taste with 00 flour if you can find it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    As i said, the recipe called for "cake flour" and i used "bread flour".  So i don't know if this made the difference because i never made it with "cake flour"???  But it is very good.  The wife has been making pizza dough for many years, and has her own recipe which we thought was the best, but this is better...
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Charlie 00 flour is fairly close equivalent to what we call cake flour in North America.

Gerhard
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    Charlie 00 flour is fairly close equivalent to what we call cake flour in North Thanks for that information. America.

Gerhard

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Duganboy I think the reason you may not notice the smoke hit is because you are desensitized from hovering over the egg for the 7 to 10 minute cook. I often wonder why the smoke smell and taste does not seem too intense, when my guests rave about the woodfire pizza. A couple of weeks ago, my very BBQ capable son took on the pie duty, including lighting the egg - what a difference in taste and aroma. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I cannot address pizza directly, because until we started Egging I never made one.  We only heated frozen pies.

That said, I think a story from my younger daughter has to relate.  We eat a lot of veggies cooked on the Eggs, and she told me one day that she had taken some left overs to work for lunch.  She heated them in the microwave and was working on them when a group of co-workers came in the break room.  They immediately started asking who was eating something with the wonderful smokey aroma.  Well, is was the simple veggies.  I had never noticed, because they all smell the same to me (both because we cook them a lot, and I have almost no sense of smell).  I was very surprised that veggies picked up a smokey aroma and apparently flavor.

If veggies get it, the pizza must too.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys