Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips or Chunks?

So far I have only used chips. For long smokes I am thinking chunks are better. Does it really just depend on if I am going for a long cook compared to a short one?

Comments

• Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    I prefer chunks just for the sole fact that you only have to load them up once. Chips will get the job done though.
  • I've gone to chunks only, mainly for lack of storage room.  Just one or two small ones for short cooks.  I'll try to be more stategic about where I place them on longer cooks and use the bigger chunks.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Mostly chunks, but I like the Jack Daniels Chips. I have a thing for Bourbon!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have never done a low and slow, but when I do am going to use chunks because I don't want to have to keep adding chips. 

@smokindawg82 I am also using Jack Daniels chips! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    There is always this way....

Once again, Thank you @Stike

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Chunks all the way.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I have never done a low and slow, but when I do am going to use chunks because I don't want to have to keep adding chips. 

@smokindawg82 I am also using Jack Daniels chips! 
    Will not be a problem with chips or chunks. You mix the chips in with the lump, not all in the same place. Because the fire is very small, some of the chips might not smoke for hours. I've had mesquite chips still not burned after a 10 hour cook. I forgot to take them out, and when I did some ABTs on the next cook they had a distinct mesquite taste, not bad, just not expected. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223

+1 on the chunks especially if its a longer cook.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use both.  Learned it from Stike.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Where is Stike?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013