Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paul Prudhommes blackened chicken breasts

Options
Good afternoon All, I'm planning on cooking blackened chicken breasts tonight for dinner using Paul Prudhommes blackened magic. Which way works best direct on green egg or in a cast iron skillet on green egg. Breasts are little over half lb. each I appreciate any help you can give me.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Use a dry cast iron skillet direct.  You want the skillet to be around 600F.  An IR thermometer is nice in this case.  Coat the chicken with butter, then coat one side with seasoning, cook for about 5 minutes, then coat the other side with seasoning and flip.  Take off when the internal temp is around 145.
    Awesome thanks Nolaegghead
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    When I cook them in a skillet or CI griddle, I pound them to an even thickness and slice in half length wise to make a thinner breast filet. When I grill them on the egg I pound to an even thickness and grill direct, raised grate at around 400. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    When I cook them in a skillet or CI griddle, I pound them to an even thickness and slice in half length wise to make a thinner breast filet. When I grill them on the egg I pound to an even thickness and grill direct, raised grate at around 400. ;;)
    that's sage advice.  breasts can be very thick and they get even thicker when you're cooking them
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Never used Chef Prudhommes magic, but I have blackened a fair number of dishes using side burner on my gasser. For fish, it is finished right in the CI skillet, for chicken, it is blackened in the CI skillet, then moved to baking pan/broiler tray in a 350 oven for maybe 5 minutes. Never done it in the egg, seems like too much trouble to get a 350 stable egg for 5 minutes of cooking, and the blackening pretty much negates any smoke flavour. Let us know how it goes. Might just have to try it someday. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    I will report back I like the slicing /pounding method as I wondered if maybe they were too thick to cook through before burning. Great advice.....thank you.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    Options

I agree with nolaegghead. CI is the way to go. Besides you can't argue with a guy from New Orleans about blackened recipes! I prefer Prudhomme's Red Fish magic over the steak magic for chicken.  And like Skiddymarker, I use the old gasser side burnner. I normally drizzle a little Raspberry Honey Mustard over the top. I'm making myself hungry just talking about it.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Rothschild Farm makes a pretty good honey mustard.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Sounds awesome can't wait