Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Eggheads also have a Gas Grill?

Options
13»

Comments

• DalemarBGE
    Options
    I had a Brinkmann 1/2 gas 1/2 charcoal as well as a Brinkmann Cajun smoker, the Mrs. made me get rid of both of them (easy to do living in a college town) once I got the egg. I don't miss the gasser at all. she let me keep a charcoal smoker that my boss in college gave me, I use it occasionally.
    If you're feelin' puny and you don't know what to do
    Treat yourself to some meat eat some barbeque
    - Robert Earl Keen

L BGE
    Auburn, AL
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    i use mine to keep things warm,and for the side burner, and storage!!!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @ Granny love this quote of yours

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet 

It is so very true. We all need to be reminded of that. You go GIRL!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I probably shouldn't admit this in the BGE forum, but I still use my gas grill about 50% of the time.

There are just some days, I don't want to mess with lump and place setters. I just want to press a button and go. I also appreciate the extra surface area. I think my gas grill still gives me pretty good results.

I do love my egg and I always use when I have extra time and want the extra edge.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

My BGE give me an excuse to get in a workout/run while it comes up to temp.  However, the gasser works best for "Honey, we're having fajitas tonight.  Can you cook the chicken that I bought that it prepackaged in the fajita marinade? And get it done in the next 20 minutes because we have to get a kid to soccer/guitar/tennis/whatever."

My Weber kettle also has its uses.

As does my ProQ vertical smoker (Now sold in the US and Canada as the Napoleon Apollo - although it looks like they downsized it from 20" to 18").  At this point, rather than buy a smaller BGE I think I will always use this as my portable grill for camping etc because it is quite light and pretty sturdy.

And I added a Klose Backyard Chef offset firebox smoker to the collection over the holidays.  Depending on what else I have going on there are days when it is "too much trouble" compared to the BGE - and there are days when my son and I are looking for a chance to really play with the fire and have a challenge.  So some days it is the best choice for us.

And my firepit is very useful for caveman steaks.  Caveman chicken wings aren't half bad either.  Caveman ribs are edible and worth trying once or twice.  I can't recommend caveman chicken breast.

My name is Foghorn and I have a problem....

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I use mine for storage and it is a great place to set a hot plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gadamie
    Gadamie Posts: 6
    Options
    i sold my old large gas grill on Craigslist and bought a small table top Cuisinart that i use sometime during the week when i am pressed for time. Of course the Egg is king but this thing gets up to 400-500 degrees in no time.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I have a Coleman LXX Roadtrip that I won at a Christmas party. I kept it to teach my girls how to start grilling. I figure for hamburgers and hot dogs, cant beat it. Plus, they will know everybody is eating what THEY cooked. I also have a 6 burner stainless gasser that is fiddin to go on Craigslist.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Gas.........propane........what's that. I set my gasser out on the curb and it sat for 4 days before someone took it. I honestly have not touched a gas grill in 2 years since I got my Egg. Gas ...?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Seriously?!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    =))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • CWarren
    CWarren Posts: 5
    Options
    I do but only use it for keeping things warm before I serve.  Built in outdoor gas oven.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Have a gasser, piped in city natural gas. Use it for some things. It does some things well enough, especially veggies I also carry 14 clubs in my bag, no single tool for all jobs. Rarely try putting with a driver..... :D
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    flemster said:
    Have a gasser, piped in city natural gas. Use it for some things. It does some things well enough, especially veggies I also carry 14 clubs in my bag, no single tool for all jobs. Rarely try putting with a driver..... :D

flemster said:

I have just double posted. Is there a dumbshit award on this forum?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    Options
    Still have my over priced 700.00 weber that has literally not been fired up once since the egg entered the picture
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Have a four burner gasser connected to a 250 gallon propane tank and use it five or six times a year to cook sides or heat up egged meals as needed.  Good for sides like "grilled veggies"!! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a pretty nice one gathering cobwebs.  I wish someone would steal it.
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    Maybe if you were just a few blocks down!

XLBGE 
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22
    Options

My BGE Grilling Center included a small egg.  Bought it almost 9 years ago.  It is what started me on this wonderful ride.  Until last December when I got the twins, I used it mostly for quick hot dog cooks and hamburgers for a crowd since it held so many.  Hasn't been turned on in 4 months with the exception of the side burner.  That and a charcoal chimney makes lighting /relighting them all a lot easier.

But now as predicted by this forum many many years ago the gasser serves as a great storage place for tools, racks, and accessories.  I won't get rid of it for sentimental reasons (and it has a small built in).  It still comes in handy at Bday parties for massive burger throw downs. 

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Bad news for you gasser fans...

Flint, Michigan
  • CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    Options
    Cooked some great ribs on my Egg last night and some fantastic burgers on my Weber gasser at the same time. Love them both and wouldn't want to part with either.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    tech284 said:

Still have my over priced 700.00 weber that has literally not been fired up once since the egg entered the picture

Sell it for $500 and get another egg.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    I have a Weber WSM I bought almost three months ago for $399 like a fool and now I use it for a door stop, wished I would have bought the Egg sooner... If someone would like it would sell for $200 and you arrange for the shipping.  I'M like Chubs would like to have a small egg

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Bad news for you gasser fans...

Not all gassers are propane. Mine's on natural gas, like my house. Pretty much and endless supply as long as you pay the bill every month!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser