Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Anyone Egg On A Screened Porch?

I currently egg on an open air porch near the pool. It works great for now, but it won't be long before the mosquito's, gnats, flies, etc. will be buzzing. 

I have a screened in porch on the back of my house. I would like to maybe put a medium egg back there just so I don't have to fight the flying critters that will be out soon. 

I don't want to "smoke up" my porch or the side of my house. Are any of you cooking on a screened porch next to your house?

Just looking for advice here. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    We have a large screened in pool area that has a large and medium BGE and never have any problems, eggcept when the wind is off the lake and blows the smoke toward the house and guests.  Not very often.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    We have a screened in pool with ten foot of overhang under which our LBGE operates. Prevailing breeze blows the smoke up against the house and under the overhang. Not a problem.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hang a fan over the egg. I thought about installing a fan with a vent.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Our house has a bird cage and then a 15 foot overhang. I keep my egg in the birdcage area under the house's overhang. Never had a problem yet. Sometimes smoke will blow through the overhang area, but only during low/slow with wind in that direction. Makes my house smell like I had a fireplace so I don't mind at all.
    Dunedin, FL
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I egg on a screened in porch (under a screen roof most of the time).  My only concern is a hot ember lighting the screening...but I stay a reasonable distance from any of it.  I do keep a fire extinguisher out there...just in case.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I egg on screened porch too. Recently noticed the white ceiling a little discolored with black dust but no real problems.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a medium may be in my future!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Chubbs said:
    I egg on screened porch too. Recently noticed the white ceiling a little discolored with black dust but no real problems.
    Got kids?  Got scrub brushes?  Problem solved.  Either that or a pressure washer ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a medium may be in my future!

I only said I had no problems to get you to shell out the cash.
    Dunedin, FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Bridezilla is trying to bankrupt me anyway. I might as well at least buy a few things for myself.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2013
    I too have a screened in patio that I have thought about Egging in.  It is screened from floor to ceiling, the ceiling is only about 7 foot high and is wood.
    That is what has kept me from trying it in there.  Just for peace of mind and safety, I'll keep it on the patio outside.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    I built mine in last fall. I put an old range hood above it and vented it out the back wall. I have to close the door into the porch when I first light it. Once your egg is stable the fan removes almost all the smoke. With the screen there is no lingering odors. I am in northern Canada and have used it all winter so far.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's good to know.  I'm adding a ceiling fan this spring.  Would be nice to have the option to Egg in these upcoming rainstorms we'll get constantly this spring.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    I've thought about moving mine into the mancave and installing a commercial overhead vent. I can open both ends of the cave and cook there when its raining.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    henapple said:

I've thought about moving mine into the mancave and installing a commercial overhead vent. I can open both ends of the cave and cook there when its raining.

And die from carbon monoxide poisoning....

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    I have garage doors on both ends. If there's a breeze i have no problem but still get smoke sometimes so i figure the fan would take care of it. I can egg in a thunderstorm...