Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanted to make ribs but nooooooo

Was planning on cooking some baby backs yesterday.  Went to the store and got two racks on Saturday.  Sunday morning I opened them up and pulled the membrane and applied and good covering of rub.  The plan was to light the Egg at 11ish and put the ribs on at noon for a 4-5 hour cook (until done).  Well no - went to a park with the kids to ride their bikes and ended up staying there for longer than expected.  Did not get home until 2 so it was a waste of a good cooking day.    Ended up having spaghetti and meatballs (on the stove).  The ribs sat all day uncovered in the fridge with the rub on them,   Last night I put the ribs in a food saver bag and froze them.  Will they be OK or should I chuck them out?  My thoughts are they will be dried out or spoiled from sitting for 14 hours uncovered in the fridge.

The way it looks I will not be using the Egg for months.  Kids baseball is starting shortly (One kid starts at 10:30 AM and one starts at 2:30 PM). The whole day will be shot until the end of June.  Then hockey on Sundays for one of the kids.  Not counting my normal work week where I get home too late to use the Egg as well.  maybe I should sell it - I was pissed off that I could not use it yesterday.  This is the new trend for me I guess.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    They should be fine. Worst case, they might get a little salty from the extended rub time; this depends on the amount of salt in the rub. I have rubbed BB ribs on a Friday night for a Saturday cook and had plans change, turning it into a Sunday cook. They still tasted great. The rub was salty, but they were pretty meaty Costco BB ribs.

Do a turbo cook. Set-up the egg at 360 indirect and they will cook in 90-100 minutes. How soon is "shortly"? This coming weekend? If not, take them out on Friday night and do what you planned 2 days ago for dinner around 5 or 6. Or, if it is 2ish again, turbo them for dinner around 5 or 6.

You could even oven-braise them and put liquid smoke in the braising liquid for smoke flavor. There won't be much bark but you can make them "fall-apart" ribs. Kids love those.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    ive let my ribs stay in the fridge for 2 days before,just more intense flavor! they werent un coverd though. i agree with eggcelsior, do the turbo cook, i have 2 young kids 3&5 so my low & slow cooks get side tracked all the time, and im sure they will become more frequent as they start to play all kinds of sports. enjoy!! <:-P
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705

Eggcelsior said:
    You could even oven-braise them and put liquid smoke in the braising liquid for smoke flavor.
    Blasphemy...Blasphemy  Ban Him from the website!!!! How could you say this Egg?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    This weekend - not sure if there is enough time on Saturday  unless I want to cook at night and eat dinner at 3:00 AM. - kids have a party to go to and something else (I'll have to check in with the other half.  Sunday we are having corned beef/cabbage (Crock pot all day).  Next weekend I am working on Saturday all day and Sunday we have somewhere to be.  The following is Easter weekend (not having dinner at my house) - that will be full of who knows what.  This is NUTS!  Baseball/hockey starts the weekend after Easter.  maybe July 4th if we dont have anywhere to go.

I got to hire a chef to come cook on the Egg for me.  Getting sick of the same foods in the house that are not healthy.  Too much pasta but that works as its an easy cook.  And too much takeout.

Thinking about bringing the Weber gasser out of retirement as I can cook burgers, chicken, fish on it fast.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Got an hour and 40 mins? Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    an Hour and 40 minutes is actually 3 hours including loading, lighting and burn off. 

Garnerville, NY
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I can have my egg at 350 in about 15 minutes with my weedburner. Buy a controller that you can adjust whilst out if you want to do low n slows and be gone.There is always a way to make anything work.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mickey
    Like @double in 15 or less with this: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Why load, just use what's left from the last cook. Not sure what burn off us? I close bottom vent and put on the green cap and leave it till next time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'd buy a smaller egg for weekday/short on time cooks.  I had my medium at 500 degrees in 25 degree weather and blowing snow yesterday in about 15 minutes.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    Burn off - meaning burning the lump until the bad smoke goes away.  This always takes be ~ 45 min to an hour.  I use a MAPP torch as well to light the lump.

Wanted a controller but regardless I will not leave the Egg burning while I am not home.  Since moving it to the my deck I have been very nervous using it.  I will not do an overnight on the Egg now that its on my wooden deck now - just too nervous.  When it was out on my lawn I was up every hour worrying about it and there was nothing near it that could catch on fire.

Garnerville, NY
  • Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    If your SWMBO stays at home, teach her how to use it. That way you can come home to ribs during the week. :-bd
  • Eggcelsior

Eggcelsior said:
    You could even oven-braise them and put liquid smoke in the braising liquid for smoke flavor.
    Blasphemy...Blasphemy  Ban Him from the website!!!! How could you say this Egg?
    When one threatens the sale of ye egg, another must fall on the sword to prevent this. Forgiveness good sir. I request parlay on your demand to ban. It is not as if I told him to cook them on the gasser.

Avast! I will atone!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I have chicken planned for tonight.  I'm thinking 1 hour and 15 minutes at most start to finish.  I go Weed Burner and Air Grill to get the temp up and stable fast.  Burgers, steak, and thin chops are even faster lighting to plating.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior

robnybbq said:
    Burn off - meaning burning the lump until the bad smoke goes away.  This always takes be ~ 45 min to an hour.  I use a MAPP torch as well to light the lump.

Wanted a controller but regardless I will not leave the Egg burning while I am not home.  Since moving it to the my deck I have been very nervous using it.  I will not do an overnight on the Egg now that its on my wooden deck now - just too nervous.  When it was out on my lawn I was up every hour worrying about it and there was nothing near it that could catch on fire.
    If you are doing a low and slow, the daisy wheel is nearly closed, nothing but smoke and moisture come out. With a pit controller, the bottom is basically sealed shut. The fan controls the rate of air intake so the bottom vent is shut against the adapter.

The only time I have ever seen my egg "spit hot fire" was an ember shot out the bottom during a high-heat sear. Cooking like this means I am standing right next to the grill, so I watched it happen. While smoking, your charcoal is smoldering so it won't spark in a way that a large ember sets your house on fire, let alone fly out of the egg. It's not a fire pit, it's a ceramic grill. I would be more worried about my propane tank leaking and causing an explosion before I ever began to worry about my Egg.

The only time I would ever consider it an issue is during lighting when I have the dome opened and the bottom vent wide open. My egg is withing 18 inches of my house and I still don't worry. Did you ever consider getting a grill mat for under the egg?
  • Eggcelsior
    robnybbq said:
    an Hour and 40 minutes is actually 3 hours including loading, lighting and burn off. 
    If you start at 2 pm, you are still eating by 5-6pm.
  • CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    I totally agree, Gary. Being with your kids beat cooking on a grill/smoker anyway. Cherish those moments. They go quick.
  • robnybbq
    GaryLange said:
    The Rids will be fine! Also a note that any time spent with your kids is time well spent and certainly not a waste. I say this because I lost my Son on Feb. 10, 2013. He was Autistic but we never knew he had a bad heart from birth. We had adopted him when he was three. He died of a heart attack in his sleep. Give you kids a big hug and go to all those ball games.
    I did not mean the day was wasted.  That's why we spent time bike riding,.  Just meant that I missed an opportunity to cook on the Egg - its still cold out in the North East and a warmer sunny day was motivation to try a low and slow rib cook.

Trying to cook healthier meals at home by using the Egg but cant find the time to use it.  We gong to throw on chicken legs for our daughter.

Do you guys cook with the "Bad Smoke"?  I am talking about the white bad smelling smoke.  I have yet to have this "White" smoke go away less than 45 minutes unless its the recycled then maybe 30 minutes but I usually have to add more lump then I am back to 45 minutes minimum.  Last weeks Spatchcock chicken I cooked it took about an hour before the smoke went from the bad smoke to the sweet smelling smoke.

When I light the Egg - if low and slow I light one spot and leave the Egg wide open until I see some smoke.  Then I close the lid and when the temp gets to 200 I close the vents down to get the Egg around 250.

When cooking at ~350 - I do the same as above but close the vents at 300.  Still tons of white smoke coming out for a while.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq said:
    If you start at 2 pm, you are still eating by 5-6pm.
    On Sunday that would have been 8 or 9 that night.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    BTW - Am I lighting the Egg wrong?

Garnerville, NY
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    GaryLange said:
    The Rids will be fine! Also a note that any time spent with your kids is time well spent and certainly not a waste. I say this because I lost my Son on Feb. 10, 2013. He was Autistic but we never knew he had a bad heart from birth. We had adopted him when he was three. He died of a heart attack in his sleep. Give you kids a big hug and go to all those ball games.
    Gary a truer word couldnt be said.

@robnybbq what lump are you using? No offense but you need to make things happen and see the positive a bit more buddy.
    Lynnwood WA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Man I've lit my small, cooked a steak, and ceramic cap is back on 20 min later.

An 1.5 hour cook is not 3 hours. Maybe 2 if your prep work is slow

XLBGE 
  • robnybbq
    edited March 2013
    Royal Oak (Red)

The 3 hour cook would not include the rib prep.  I did that early in the morning.

If ribs took 1 hr and 40 minutes and an hour to load and get rid of the bad smoke that is 2.hrs 40 min at best.

I am guessing I either lighting it wrong, the temp gauge does not work right (Just calibrated again), or I am missing something

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Sorry friend, but I am cooking in 15 mins. Little less in the Mini.

• robnybbq
    15 minutes with fresh lump?  I do not see it.  The temperature does not get over 200 until at least that for me.  Then the smoke burn off starts.  What am I doing wrong.  This is why I do not use it during the week.  Way too long to get going.

Garnerville, NY
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @mickey

The mini and small are strong work horses. I'm up and going in minutes.

It does take my large longer to stabilize, I'm not as worried of VOC's as most. And again as mickey noted I'm always cooking off of last cooks lump most of time.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    robnybbq said:
    15 minutes with fresh lump?  I do not see it.  The temperature does not get over 200 until at least that for me.  Then the smoke burn off starts.  What am I doing wrong.  This is why I do not use it during the week.  Way too long to get going.
    In what I am seeing (what I think you are doing) is that you use fresh lump. I fill up the Egg (cap it off after)  and just add very little to a new cook. Do you cap it off when you pull your food. I may be very different but if I need a cook of 300 I have  no problem putting on the food at 250, it will get there soon (I am talking somthing taking over about 10 min cooks).  If I am cooking burgers I light and the food is on around 10 mins. I cook burgers low and have no problem. Shooting for 400 but at 250/300 ready to put food on. When I pull the burgers off I green cap and shut the lower vent. Total time in the 20 min mark.

• robnybbq
    I cap it when done.  Still some lump left but not allot.  I am guessing due to the dome not sealing good without the gasket.  I have done a few cooks where I put the food on too early and it tasted like an ashtray and sour.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    robnybbq said:
    I cap it when done.  Still some lump left but not allot.  I am guessing due to the dome not sealing good without the gasket.  I have done a few cooks where I put the food on too early and it tasted like an ashtray and sour.

Have not had a gasket in 3 years. When I use smoke (not trying to tell you how to cook) i use a hand full of chips or 2 or 3 chunks.

• robnybbq
    I see daylight where the gasket belongs.  I tried resetting the screws and it made no difference.  Once I tighten the bands it creates the air gap. This is another reason I think my recent cooks have not been that good.

Garnerville, NY