Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a Cajun spatchcock on Saturday.

tamu2009
tamu2009 Posts: 387
Going with Cajun injector creole butter inject and them Tony's on the skin.

My question is what do I cut the Tony's with so its not killer spicy for the whimpy women eating eat?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Dizzy Dust
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have a jerk chicken spatch on right now. Made the "wet rub" aka short-term marinade on a work night. Smells great though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Tony's is not too spicy. Do you have any rubs or would ou be making your own? Dizzy Dust is a solid fall back plan
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I want to use Tony's, but my wife is somewhat spicy sensitive.

I was thinking just a normal season salt and Tony's for a rub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited March 2013
    Hmmmm... I find that by the time I get enough heat with Tony Chachere's the food is then too salty. I was given a sample bottle of Red Claw Cajun Seasoning by the guy who developed and markets it. His sons and my son are taking karate together and we talk while they're in class. I had complained about Tony Chachere's being too salty so he went to his car and got me a bottle. When we seen that it was gluten free we gave it to our boys Godmother who has become extremely allergic to gluten. She loved it. Now we by it locally at the supermarket and we like it.... a LOT.

I'm having a hard time answering your question though because all of the work arounds that we had developed
    involving Tony Chachere's were all aimed at ramping UP the heat in order to minimize the salt.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I concur with Parallel.  For us, Tony's gets way too salty before it gets too hot.  We use it like spicy salt.  If I want to add heat, I mix up my own spice.  Same in the reverse if you find it too hot.
    I would go simple old bay or something tame on half and then put Tony's on your side. Best of both worlds and she can try a bite if you don't' find it spicy then maybe next time you can do the whole thing. 

I use the regular butter injectables all the time for turkey, My next turkey breast will be creole butter with Swamp Venom! Now I just need to order the Dizzy Pig, I only had the sampler of that one and used it all for Fat Tuesday… 

@Skiddymarker posted the idea about half one way and half the other, which I think is great to try different rubs to see what you like best. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Didn't see this until now, but this weekend we are planning a brined spatchcock chicken rubbed 1/2 with Penzey's Ozark and 1/2 with McCormick's Cajun. SWMBO came up with the idea of leaving some of the bird not rubbed so the grandkids would eat, that kind of evolved into rubbing each chicken with at least two rubs when the grandkids were not with us. 
    So many rubs and so few chickens,,,,
    Thanks for the credit @Solson005
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sure @Skiddymarker I think it is a great idea, I have yet to do it. But I will soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • In one of Tony Chachere's  books there is the exact recipe to make the stuff, it is no cheaper to make your self but you can cut way down on the salt, if you make your own and add more heat if you like

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    do half the way you like and half for her...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • If you really want to add some Cajun here is the recipe for the original Toney Chachere  you can cut down on the salt to your liking or add more red pepper to your taste
    :-bd
    Tony’s All-purpose Famous
    Creole Seasoning

26-ounce box salt                    1 ounce pure garlic powder
    1 ½  ounces ground black pepper            1 ounce chili powder
    2 ounces ground red pepper                1 ounce monosodium
                                    Glutamate (Accent)

Mix well and use like salt.  When it’s salty enough, it’s seasoned to perfection.  If too peppery for children, add more salt to mixture, and then season to taste. 
    THIS IS IT!!!!

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen