Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

high que nomex gasket

Options
well its time to replace the gasket. Im thinking about ordering a nomex gasket from high que. just wondering if or how many of you guys have one? or what your thoughts were about them? thanks again

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Ordered one and installed it. Burned off after third cook- it was first high temp cook. Done was offline slightly giving me an underbite. Not sure if the flame found that "hole" for oxygen but it burned up. Called high que and they sent me another one. Have not put it on yet but think I am next week.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013
    Options

If you're going to bother replacing your gasket, do it right the first time and put a Rutland on.  The gasket and adhesive together will cost you under $20 and last a lifetime.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There are three choices other than a BGE high temp. The Rutland made for wood stoves, which is not approved to be used near food but many here don't seem to be concerned (only time will tell), The High-Q Nomex, Ok for food and may actually be very similar to the BGE Nomex and Cotronics, also food approved but is only available in 50 foot rolls only, minimum orders of >$100. 
    My original BGE gasket was toast in no time. A BGE high temp gave me about 6 months, the High Q is still going strong. Take your time and prepare the surface before you mount a new gasket and make sure the dome and base align. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    This is the self stick one, right?  I don't recommend it. Because of the adhesive strip, you can't preshrink it in the dryer. Then when you install it, it gets internal stresses as it shrinks and can come off. Ask me how I know.

For the record, I was very meticulous in preparing the surface. I used an angle grinder with a stripper pad and got it down to the ceramic. I also broke it in gradually. I replaced it with a normal nomex gasket and the 3m adhesive and it's been fine over lots of cooks.

I lost the top gasket, but the bottom one had no problems. If you do get it, be sure to try and install with as least stress as possible (use as much length and kind of scrunch it as you apply it)

One more thing - I've seen some posts talking about how messy/difficult applying a gasket with 3m super 77 adhesive is.  Ignore them. It's cake.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I used this when I replaced my gasket and love it.  Make sure you don't stretch it as you apply it, because it will shrink.  I made sure it had some room to shrink and it has lasted through 10+ pizza cooks with no signs of damage.  The adhesive seems to be holding well for me.

I would recommend it.
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    I recently replaced my original gasket due to the dome not being lined up properly. I did not have time to order a nomex although I am going to. I just used what the BGE dealer closest to me said was an updated gasket. I figure for 6 dollars I could use it until I can get a nomex in. I am glad that someone brought up info on the nomex that already has the backing compared to the one without. So the feeling is that the one without the backing is possibly better because you can preshrink it correct? Also someone stated concerns about Rutland gaskets. What would be the concern with them? I know most smokers use them for their doors.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I recently replaced my original gasket due to the dome not being lined up properly. I did not have time to order a nomex although I am going to. I just used what the BGE dealer closest to me said was an updated gasket. I figure for 6 dollars I could use it until I can get a nomex in. I am glad that someone brought up info on the nomex that already has the backing compared to the one without. So the feeling is that the one without the backing is possibly better because you can preshrink it correct? Also someone stated concerns about Rutland gaskets. What would be the concern with them? I know most smokers use them for their doors.
    There is some worry of the fiberglass threads breaking off and getting in food. This is why most put it only on the base, along with the fact that it's thick so it seals well. It's not that it isn't safe around food, it just hasn't been tested for food production so the company cannot recommend it.