Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Bet for a newbie spatcher

Options
ddegger
ddegger Posts: 244
Hi all - been lurking while saving up for the LBGE plus table and accessories (toys!). Finally pulled the trigger and delivery is expected this weekend. I want to start off with a slam dunk (family's a tad skeptical about my $$$ grill) and I'm convinced after reading your great pots that spatchcock is the way to go. I've seen lots of different cooking suggestions and I'm looking for some advice about the direct vs indirect issue - sounds like both will work but curious if one way is riskier or more successful than the other? Dont want to screw up the first cook. Thanks for any thoughts....

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    google naked whiz spatchcock chicken. He sums it up perfectly.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If you have a way to raise the grate (bolts, fire bricks ) adjustable rig do it. Then cook 400 direct. If you have time leave the bird uncovered in the fridge overnight ( no big deal if no time). Add rub or just S&P, it's all good. Skin side up and never turn ( this is the other reason to cook high in the dome as you are closer to the dome). This is about an hour cook but please cook to temp and not time breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Also very same cook for spatchcocked turkey, just a little longer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'll add a twist to @Solson005, I like raised direct as well, but if I want a no brainer cook, and no one wants charred skin (SWMBO and me) indirect at 400-425 is also an easy foolproof cook. Left overnight in the fridge, then touched with rub and cornstarch (or latest discovery - Wondra) gives a crisp but not charred skin. Indirect is easy and you will never have that acrid flavour some get from a really fatty bird dripping on the coals. 
    Good luck and welcome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Becarefull of how much wood you use. In the egg a little goes a long way. Raised, direct, 400 until breast is 160. Enjoy! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like indirect. A little safer imho. I also usually cook veggies along with the bird.

Cut the veggies at least one and a half inches thick. Squash, zucchini, eggplant,..... I use whole baby bella mushrooms. Rub with evo, s&p then place in aluminum pan. Pour enough chicken broth in the pan to keep the veggies from burning.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Becarefull of how much wood you use. In the egg a little goes a long way. Raised, direct, 400 until breast is 160. Enjoy! ;;)
    Hi, ddegger. GrannyX4 raises a good point. Also, lots of new Eggers put the food on a little too early. You say you have been lurking awhile, so I suppose you may have run into the "let the bad smoke clear" threads. That issue is also covered at the Naked Whiz's site.

It is very hard to ruin a spatch'd chicken. It works so well, that almost every whole chicken I do is now done that way.

I think you family will be convinced pretty quickly that the Egg was a worthwhile purchase. My first cooks were pretty good, but within 6 mo.s, my family was eating tastier food than they had ever had.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

If you go indirect-create an air gap between your heat deflector (plate setter, pizza stone, fire bricks , after-marekt setup whatever) and drip pan by using a few 1/2 inch thick nuts or balled up foil or anything to get the pan elevated.  Keeps the drippings from burning off during the cook.

One other thing-wait til the smoke from the BGE smells good (usually around 20- 25 mins or so after the fire is lit) before putting anything on to cook.  Smoke smells good-it's good to go.  Welcome and enjoy-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Another thing to remember when your first joining this forum, there are many ways of cooking everything and will all get you great results. Please don't get discouraged with all the answers, this is just simple chicken and you can see how many different ways it can be done. Pizza is a whole other ballgame and after one post I got a little down with comments saying "it would be better if I changed … " I was just over thinking it and know love the wealth of knowledge this forum brings even more so. Remember you are cooking for you and your guests and they are the ones eating so cook the way you like and it will be some of the best food you have made outside. 

Everyone means well and just about every method will turn out great results, just pick one that sounds good and run with it. 

I did my first spatchcock raised direct and it turned out so well I have never done it indirect. I'm sure it would be great, but I am happy with my results and don't feel a need to change this particular cook. 

As mentioned above less is more when it comes to using wood on turkey or chicken. But a small handful of chips won't ruin a chicken and turns the skin a great color. We did a 21 pound turkey for thanksgiving with no wood and just salt and pepper for the rub so the people wouldn't be offended without the "traditional turkey" Just about every person that came over said we could add smoke, seasoning, whatever we wanted next year as long as we made it on the egg. 

Naked Whiz FAQs is another great resource along with this forum. 

You can always light up your grill and play with the settings to figure out temperature controls well before you cook and then you will have no issues with bad smoke or anything like that. It will use very little lump and takes the stress out of learning while there is food in the egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

QUICK QUESTION ON AIR DRYING THE CHICKEN IN THE FRIDGE, DO YOU APPLY OIL WITH YOUR RUB THE NEXT DAY OR DOES THAT DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF AIR DRYING????

ALSO IF YOU BRINE DONT FORGET TO RINSE THE CHICKEN OFF WELL WITH WATER AS I HAVE FORGOTTEN IN THE PAST AND THE CHICKEN WAS VERY SALTY:(

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Awesome!  Exactly why I finally joined and posted my question - great, insightful answers!  Now...if I could just get my dealer to hurry up and deliver!

Thanks all - look forward to more great advice!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not sure, but IMHO the air dry removes moisture from the skin so there is less water to evaporate before the crisping process can begin, oiling it will not restore the moisture. The combination of oil and rub will do the crisping. If the surface looks too dry, a little spritz with oil will help it along. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did my first spatchcock a few weeks ago. I cooked direct with a raised grid at 400 with a handful of pecan chips. SWMBO does not like a lot of smoke flavor said it was some of the best chicken ever. The cook took 1 hour with the thighs at 180 and breast at 160. Also, if your Egg doesn't arrive feel free to bring your party and food to my house and I will do the cooking!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

QUICK QUESTION ON AIR DRYING THE CHICKEN IN THE FRIDGE, DO YOU APPLY OIL WITH YOUR RUB THE NEXT DAY OR DOES THAT DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF AIR DRYING????

ALSO IF YOU BRINE DONT FORGET TO RINSE THE CHICKEN OFF WELL WITH WATER AS I HAVE FORGOTTEN IN THE PAST AND THE CHICKEN WAS VERY SA

After airdrying overnight i have done it both ways. Just rub next day and very little oil and rub. I could not tell a differance.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I like indirect 375 - 400  and I personally don't add wood to chicken, you get a good amount of flavor from just the lump. Its a matter of what you like so you may have to try a few of these and find what suits you
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I'm a lurker as well, and have been cooking on my BGE since late summer.  One of my first cooks was a Spatchcock chicken following the Naked Wiz site mentioned above.  The family loved it!

One thing I learned...let the butcher do the work for you!  I buy my chickens from one of the local grocery stores.  I took the bird to the meat counter, and the gladly removed the backbone for me.  This makes an easy cook that much easier!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

Couple key points for me on spatch chicken.

I always buy a Grade A bird, so I get a bird with a full skin, no tears or missing skin.  I need the full skin as I like to put seasonings/rub under the skin and directly on the meat. It's easy to do by starting at the breast's thick end and working two fingers down past the thigh to the leg.   I dump a lot of rub, 2 or so Tablespoons and slowly work it around. 

I try to find a bird on the lesser side of 5+ pounds. It's hard to do these days at the typical grocery store.  I check the label to see how much solution has been added.  It's usually 8-12 percent depending on the bird processor.  

I grill them on a raised grid, grid temp around 400ish. I start the bird skin side down to get the skin rendering.  After 5-10 minutes, depending on how the skin is going, I flip it over and let it grill.  I use the adjustable rig with extender, and set the slide guide at the upper notches, so if I need to take the cook indirect, all I have to do is slide in the stone. 

I grill them longer and to a higher internal temp, usually 75 or more minutes and internal temp around 170 to 175.  I do this to insure the red fleshy stuff around the bones is cooked out - least that is the goal.

I'll tent the chicken with foil and let it sit, similar to a steak.  By doing this, more times than not, I'll loose the crispiness of the skin. 

The wings never see a plate, I eat them when cutting up the bird.......

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.