Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli Meats

Ok so I have seen plenty of beef deli meat threads (roast beef mainly) but my question is what about turkey and chicken breast?  Does anyone make their on turkey or chicken for sandwich meats?  One thing I am curious to know is with chicken...how does the deli get such a large 'chunk' of meat to slice?  I assume that is the breast they are slicing???

Would love to hear your experiences of sandwich meats especially if they are turkey or chicken.  Would love to add that to my 'feeding my family better' list.
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I will sometimes cook extra chicken to make "pulled chicken" or chicken for soup recipes.  The wife will sometimes make chicken salad for sandwiches or to have over salad.  My guess that the large chunks you see in the deli is the same as the turkey that is processed and shaped for slicing.  Boneless turkey is an easy cook and makes excellent sandwich meat.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I did a smoked cajun turkey breast HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

500 Posts: 3,177
    I would agree. It has to be processed somehow. Awhile back people were talking about meat glue. Maybe that's it. I found 1/2 frozen turkey breast, that was minimally processed (solution added for moisture). Thawed and Egged and sliced for lunchmeat. Turned out good, but when I do it next time I will look at brining it first, as it was somewhat dry. For chicken, you could cook a bunch of boneless skinless breasts, then chill overnight and slice the next day. That should be good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive done turkey as a pull but never sliced. your best bet would be to roll it up and tie it tight before cooking, i do that with corned beef flats for pastrami, yields round slices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Deli meats are held together with meat glue.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @cortguitarman is that safe or healthy?  It doesn't sound like it is...

Thanks guys for all your help!  Anyone done any deli ham?  I did a spiral ham on the egg for thanks giving that turned out excellent but I don't think it would have been great for slicing.  How would you do a ham for slicing?
    Anderson, SC

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    r270ba said:
    @cortguitarman is that safe or healthy?  It doesn't sound like it is...

Transglutimase, aka "meat glue," is a protein that is found in (many (?) most) meats that acts a a clotting factor. As I understand it, most of it is now made from bacteria, not meat. If you have eaten caseless hot dogs, or artificial crab, you've eaten something held together w. meat glue. It is sometimes used unethically to glue together small pieces of tender meat which are then passed off as "steak."

The only health risk I know of is the increased chance of contamination from when the meats are sliced or ground before being glued. There's more risk from any preservatives put into the meat.

Most of the turkey or chicken I've made ended up being pulled, and turned into salad or paté. I do sometimes de-bone and smoke turkey thighs, and slice those thinly for sandwiches.

I have brined and quick roasted pork loins. Those can be sliced thin quite easily.

As far as slicing goes, look up the threads on meat slicers and/or knife choices. Its easier to get a clean slice if the meats are almost frozen.

If you want great sandwich meat, find a large beef tongue, and go thru the trouble to skin, brine, and smoke that. It finishes with a texture almost as smooth as bologna, but far more flavor.
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2013
    ham is as simple as baking a whole ham and slicing or following a good recipe like egrets or drchickens double smoked ham.

roastbeef done at 275 direct

roast pork

deli style meatloaf

black pastrami from a rolled up corned beef flat

fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    Very nice looking meatloaf. Colorful, and lots of veggie bits. Surprising to me how well the slices held together.
  • r270ba
    As always...Thanks a lot guys! 
    Anderson, SC

• fishlessman
    gdenby said:
    Very nice looking meatloaf. Colorful, and lots of veggie bits. Surprising to me how well the slices held together.
    i think the main things that kept it together is overworking the burger a little bit and dry roasting the veggies to remove the moisture. i tried a couple different things and dry roasting made it stick. i like meatloaf sandwiches on the boat, since this ive settled on making it spread out like a brownie on a cookie sheet and cutting out sandwich sized squares
    fukahwee maine

I smoked an Eye of Round last night and sliced as thin as I could, against the grain, (or at least I thought it was against the grain), and it was still somewhat difficult to chew.  I had it indirect raised at 250* until 125* and rested for 20 minutes before running it through the slicer.  I just can't get the hang of it.  I marinated it overnight with EVOO, Worcester sauce, DP, salt and pepper.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    eye of rounds are just tough. i always have cooked them hot and direct 400/425. while the meat is somewhat tough the burnt bark is always good
    fukahwee maine

I would rather try Top Round, but it is difficult if not impossible to find.  Heard it is more tender than Eye or Bottom.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    500 said:
    I smoked an Eye of Round last night and sliced as thin as I could, against the grain, (or at least I thought it was against the grain), and it was still somewhat difficult to chew.
    Try steaming the slices just before serving. Or heat some water or broth to just simmering, and dunk the slices for a short time. The quick heat will break down a little more collagen.
  • r270ba
    @500 any ideas on the cost of top round or eye of round?
    Anderson, SC

I made some Au Jus out of a steak bone, beef broth, onions, Worcester.  I dipped the sandwich in that.  Maybe next time i'll just put the meat in a pan of that to stay hot and do what you said, break it down. 

Eye of Round is a reasonably cheap cut.  About 6 to 8 bucks a pound I think.  This is choice.  Fresh Market has Choice Plus, I think, so a little better, and a little bigger price too.  I think I'll go there next time over Kroger.  That could help. 

It's a new trick for me making deli meats.  Enjoying the ride.
    Member since 2009