Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the okay to add to the family!

YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
The wife and I came to an agreement last night.  I can buy a new Egg if I buy her some new Shark Vacuum cleaner. I'm pretty sure she wanted me to buy a new Egg so that she could enjoy some egged food while at the beach!  She's hooked! So it's a win all around.

I haven't decided if it will be a mini or a small.  I need it to be portable so I can take it to the lake and to the beach.  I just got the pricing for our Eggfest in a few months and the mini with accessories is $399, (nest, ash tool, starter cubes, charcoal, dome temp gauge, dual function metal top). The small is $629 with accessories, (platesetter, nest, ash tool, starter cubes, charcoal, dome temp gauge, dual function metal top).

Even with the $230 price difference I'm still leaning towards the small. Couple of questions: Is it that much more cumbersome than the mini?  Like I said, I'd be taking it with us on vacation to the beach/lake couple times a year.  I need enough space to cook for about 8 people.  Other than that, I think it would compliment my XL at home very well.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    FWIW...forget the accessories package.  I just bought a small - only.  Figure there's enough guys out there who just built tables and listed their nests on craigslist or ebay.  I will buy a woo with a stone.  Ask your local dealer if they'll match the eggfest demo prices.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It is bigger and heavier than the mini for sure, but not prohibitive in terms of weight. Solson005 will surely chime in with pics of the EggCarten which is a nice carrier solution for porting a small egg around. If you are going to get the nest anyways, you could make an EggWagen which was easy to put together with wheels from Harbor Freight and other parts from Lowe's. If you're cooking for 8, I think the small is the way to go.

And don't forget the hydration tool!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thanks for the pics.

I'm heavily leaning towards the small.  I'm giddy with the thought of being at the beach with a pork shoulder on the Egg and having it ready to go for dinner. No need to worry about dinner plans and getting everybody to agree on a place.  This would be about as relaxing as it could get.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    As @caliking said I use a eggCARTen and it makes carrying the small around pretty easy. 

I use a teak shower stool or my dutch oven table to put it on and it does not get hot enough to scotch the wood. I did a post about a Small Turkey and had it on the shower stool for well over 4 hours, just 3 cooking the turkey and more for start up time and never had any issues. But @RAC posted New Family Member and has a awesome table that has a metal shelf that slides out of the table and holds the egg in the eggcarten perfect and even has hooks for utensils. I will be checking that table out next time I make it to Sams Club. I travel with my small almost weekly and really like the eggcarten and my choice of a small egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Let me show off my new small too :-B

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It's amazing.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

Waiting to get in their new home.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @MCN: That's a sweet lookin double egg table!  :-bd

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013

You said cook for 8 people. Sent this Mini  to an MP unit in Afghanistan with 21 adults to cook for. And they did. Steaks, chicken and all you can think of.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

One big advantage of the small is the ability to cook low and slow. I have done a 10 pound butt with no problems.

As Si says, "hey Jack, ya know, hey...if you want something done right, ask someone else."

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Mini in Afghanistan:
    Photobucket is starting to piss me off.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Brisket , pastrami, butt all on the mini not 10 lbs but 5 no problems.

Portable , I am 6'4 235 the mini is all I would really want to haul around. Its heavy and takes up enough real estate on its own. But that's just me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited March 2013

I went with the small also to take camping in the RV.image

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mickey
    SkinnyV said:
    Brisket , pastrami, butt all on the mini not 10 lbs but 5 no problems. Portable , I am 6'4 235 the mini is all I would really want to haul around. Its heavy and takes up enough real estate on its own. But that's just me.
    Got to agree with Skinny in that if I was 6'4 my weight would be good. Also all the rest is correct.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Personally, I see myself thinking the small is portable then never taking it because it "is too much trouble". Not too mention portable to me means traveling to drinking events--- tailgates, camping, fishing trips, etc and I would likely rather myself not have to carry 75 lbs. For that reason, I am back on the mini train. Just need my dealer to get his new shipment in. Likely April before I can pull the trigger.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    @Mickey I've having photobucket issues and am getting pretty frustrated as well. Those movies and some of mickeys posts show how much you can really do with a mini. @chubbs had a great post a month or so ago with lots of info about the mini. But I am happy with the small and lugging it around isn't bad (for me) with the eggcarten. I did not feel comfortable carrying it before just awkward not the weight. But look into a pot lifter if you don't get the eggcarten. It's a cheaper solution if you want the best. I'm on my phone but I can post a link later if you want.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Here is the link to the Potlifter

and the post from Chubbs Me thinks me want a mini….

I probably helped sell you on a small and then confused you with a mini.. haha 

I think both are great for different reasons. The mini will cool quicker if you are making a meal and leaving shortly after but that usually is not the case with myself. Either way portable food from the egg is awesome. Good luck deciding which is best for you!