Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Eggheads also have a Gas Grill?

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have a 4 burner gasser with side burners. I've used twice since getting my LBGE. Hotdogs both times. I like the idea of selling it and getting a small.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CSRAEgger
    CSRAEgger Posts: 18
    I still use mine. I love my Weber Q 320. I love my 2 Eggs also. All of them have their place.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I use mine a lot.  90% of the time to store the platesetter, and every once in a while for a quick burger cook.  
    allsid Posts: 492
    The old gasser went to pasture after I got the egg.  Now I use it to store my chimney starter and occasionally my plate setter.  This past summer, I thought I NEEDED a gasser for quick burger/dog cooks on the weekend.  Got a really nice one from Sears.  Haggled, them down almost 40% and ended up returning it 28 days later.

Got to love the 30 day return policy-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My storage rack for my grills and place setter is my "Smokey Mountain" wood fired offset -- only been cooked in twice -EVER !
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    My Broilmaster is leaning up against the house under the raised deck. You want it? Come and get it. No charge, in fact I'll fix you lunch.
    :)
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Still have my Weber gasser. Use it for quick things that the egg wouldn't have much effect in. Also if SWMBO wants to grill before I get home she'll use the Weber, BGE she doesn't touch.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    MDSH still uses the weber and only once did he use the egg. Right now he is retired from the egg but I hope he will come out of retirement again this year to smoke another turkey. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I had to start somewhere!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @grannyx4
    MDSH
    My dumpy sorry husband??
    My Debonair Sexy Husband?

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited March 2013
    My dear sweet husband! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • tech284
    tech284 Posts: 34
    I haven't even thought about about lighting mine , it's sad it was so expensive 2 nothing taste as good as the BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I still have my Weber Genesis two years after buying my Egg.  Its great for setting tools and hot plate setters on.
    I'll admit, though, that I still use it for grilling peaches (with brown sugar, bourbon, and vanilla ice cream); I've not enjoyed the "smoke" Egg taste with peaches.  
    A co-worker has been threatening to buy it from me, and I admit its not worth cluttering up my deck for grilled peaches 3 weeks out of the year.  We'll see...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have a nice 4 burner with 2 infrared burners and a warming burner that hasn't been lit except to keep things warm when I am eggin for a group. It does do a nice job of housing all my eggcessories

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    I still have my 3 burner gasser.  Not sure what to do with it now that I have an XL BGE.  So far it's just collecting dust and rust.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Mine has stored my cast iron for the past few months. I just put it on craigslist today. Nice gasser.... Weber Genesis. It'll get up to 600° with all three burners full blast. Nt many assets can do that. But, it just doesn't hold a candle to my egg. The proceeds will be going toward buying a new small to accompany my large.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • I use my Weber as a drink holder and a place to store equipment...I have a XL to the right, a LG to the left and a Mini in reserve behind me.  I have both plate setters and pizza stones stored on the lower Weber rack.  

Still have the small from the Plano Egg fest set up for the RV and I have not fired it up yet...gotta get some eggcessories for it at Salado...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• quacker
    quacker Posts: 10

I use gas and charcoal...

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited March 2013
    I still use it on those hectic weeknights when we don't have the time to wait for the BGE to come to temperature, not to mention I like the fact that it has a side burner. I'm smack in the middle of Hurricane country and used it extensively during Hurricane Isaac.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

I posted this once before.  You didn't throw out your oven when you got a microwave did ya. My point being they both have their place. I'm probably catch an earful over this but gassers have their place too. Let's face it, I also have an offset smoker and to the purest your not truly smoking on an Egg since the heat is still directly below the meat even with a platesetter, your not cooking with only smoke . Don't get me wrong I love my Eggs and I'lll never be without one. I've had kamados for 30 years and nothing beats their versatility and flavor and I've made a lot of believers in them. The bottom line is your cooking outside over a fire, something very primal within all of us and we wouldn't be on this forum if it didn't touch us deeply.  Please don't be too brutal with your responses. Maybe I should have just brought up politics or religion.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @td66snrf has it exactly right, just because you can fit a sheet of plywood in the back of or on the roof of the Range Rover is no reason to kick the Silverado or F150 to the curb. They both have their uses, albeit the gasser is often a storage/staging area for the egg while the egg never seems to see that duty for the gasser. 
    Gasser is great for hot dogs when the rug rats show up, it is an excellent warming oven for one course that has come off the egg while the next is going on. The side burner is something I could not be without. Reducing marinades, sauces and heating BBQ sauce all possible on the gasser. I think veggies are the most often cook on the gasser, the meat is being seared on the egg while the veggies are turning a nice indirect tender crisp on the gasser. If my gasser quit tomorrow, I'd buy another before another egg. Different tools for different jobs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Have a gasser. Piped gas. Do some things on it. Fewer now that I Egg. But wouldn't let it go
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Not me!  Only the Big Green Egg and it can do everything I need!

For people say that it doesn't start fast enough, they haven't seen me with a heat gun and RO!
  • muskyjohn
    muskyjohn Posts: 17
    Nope, no gassers here, egg for everything. Weber kettles prior to LBGE. Really wouldn't mind adding a small to go with large.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sold my Weber genesis and Weber Smokey mountain to get my 2nd large. No need for gas here.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I've NEVER owned a gasser, been cooking on charcoal since I was a kid.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    I still have a gasser that I've had since 2005.  Use it about once every few months to quickly do some brats or warm up something that done on the egg.  Bought a good one,  A 4  burner made Vermont Castings.  Even in Florida and near the ocean, it show no signs of rust.  I have managed to use one tank of gas in the time I have owned it... I bought a Large Egg and table in 2006.  No comparison to taste of food.  I wouldn't replace it if it decides to expire.  I imagine that one of my kids will get it because it probably will outlive me.  Gordon,  Vero Beach, FL
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    No gasser here. Haven't used one in 20 yrs.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I put my almost new gasser in storage. 

My old charcoal grill holds my CI grid and my platesetter. I haven't used either since I got my large BGE!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    What's a gas grill? Just kidding. I still have mine, but only use it for blackened chicken.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975