Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try at Reverse Sear

six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
I made an attempt at reverse sear. I think I did it right. I used PS got to 350 - 400. Put steaks on for 30 minutes (found this too long). Then removed PS and heated grill to 650. Did 90 seconds per side. I cooked indirect way too long steaks were over done. They were juicy but Med Well not med or Med rare.
Please let me know if I do not understand reverse sear and need to do something different.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I would keep your indirect at about 300 until about 115* internal then remove PS and crank up the heat and finish. As always cook to temp not to time.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I really have to try this reverse sear, I always sear then reduce temp to roast.  Steaks look great even if they were a little overcooked for you!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I agree with @tfols Especially cook to temp not to time.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you are going to to reverse sear, which is my favorite way, you got to get a Thermapen.  Indirect at about 350-400 until 110-115, then about 60 seconds sear per side will get you real close to medium rare.  Of course, the thickness of the steak matters. :D
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    edited March 2013
    Your roasting them way too long. I cooked some 4 big 1 1/4 ribeyes Tuesday night. 400 for 8 minutes a side with plate setter. Then seared at 600/650 for 60 seconds a side.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    For sure roasting too long, keep that roasting temp around 400 not 350 and don't cook to time, cook to temp. As others have said, a thermapen or any other instant read thermometer will work, cook to the temp per your liking and then pull, let rest, raise temp, then sear.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• six_egg
    Thank you all for the advice. I hate over cooking my ribeyes. I am buying a thermapen tomorrow.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

six_egg said:
    Thank you all for the advice. I hate over cooking my ribeyes. I am buying a thermapen tomorrow.
    Make sure to get the red one, it is the fastest!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited March 2013

six_egg said:
    Make sure to get the red one, it is the fastest!
    Actually I have had 4 thermapens of 4 different colors in a controlled environment.  Upon opening all 4 pens at the same time using servos piercing a mass of pudding consistent at 115* throughout.  Purple is the fastest thermapen
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I've cooked reverse sear for 30 minutes, indirect at 225-250. Cook to temp. Depends how much smoke flavour you want, longer indirect is more smoke. Some folks do not want smoke on a steak some do. Some like the char on the crust, some don't. I like both, but if I do a reverse, usually the outside has very little char. 
    This strip was a "smoke bomb", I actually had to floss the mesquite, but it was good. (It was a touch overdone as I had to rescue my 4 year old grandson from the flowerbed where he had "parked" his 'lectric Gator.) 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Green means go and is by far the fastest Thermapen out there… I've never done a reverse sear so I can't help you out. Just a big fan of the thermapen, I use it to make tea, and check oil temp to fry  as well as everything from wings to steaks coming off my BGEs.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    You're crazy. My white one is super fast! No way green is faster. Funny....I used mine to check temp of coffee , recalibration my BGE dome thermometer, and measure the temp of oil for frying the ther night. One of the best presents I've ever received. ~O)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    Well while the color of the thermapen may be debated, they are essential tools for cooking to perfection. I would stick with green, but you can be slower if you want…  8-}
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • six_egg

Wow pen color must be a big deal on how fast and well the thing works.

:)

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    This is my govt issued model. Not available for the public but i found one, let's just say through a connection. Originally used by NASA then developed for military use. It has been valuable in providing pertinent measurements from the moon, the deserts of Iraq as well as the mountains of Afghanistan. There has been some backlash as to why these were not mentioned in the movie "Zero Dark Thirty" but may have been withheld for national security reasons. Regardless....fast? The Fastest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Henapple I do believe that you may be getting a visit from some guys in black suits and sunglasses giving away such info.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I do mine simple. I put the platesetter in and set @350. Put the meat on with the meat thermo inserted and cook until 120 internal. Take it off, take platesetter out and ramp egg up to 700. Throw back on for about 4 mins per side and its done. This has worked great for steaks, beef T, and tri tip so far.
  • six_egg said:
    A MUST have IMO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Plano_JJ said:
    I do mine simple. I put the platesetter in and set @350. Put the meat on with the meat thermo inserted and cook until 120 internal. Take it off, take platesetter out and ramp egg up to 700. Throw back on for about 4 mins per side and its done. This has worked great for steaks, beef T, and tri tip so far.
    What temp are you cooking to? I only go 60-90 seconds per side for medium rare. I roast to 120 as well.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

When doing the reverse sear I roast the steaks at around 250 until an IT of about 115 to 120.  Then sear for 60 seconds a side.

I find you get a more uniform doneness with the lower roasting temp. 

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Plano_JJ said:
    What temp are you cooking to? I only go 60-90 seconds per side for medium rare. I roast to 120 as well.
    Havent measured the temp after the sear, suppose I should. The meat is med to medium rare so I didnt bother. Here is some beef T done with this method.