Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another for the Large/small party

2»

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @aviator, check around the door to make sure you have a tight seal to the ceramic. If not, just use some silicone.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    edited February 2013
    Lol no gladiator, 5ft 8 " , old short fat guy...have a large, have a class c motorhome, it is in storage for our long snowy Michigan winter. Need to measure the locker to see if a small will fit, could get an eggcarten..., also wanted it for side dishes when using the large.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    jlsm said:
    @aviator, check around the door to make sure you have a tight seal to the ceramic. If not, just use some silicone.  

The door has a tight seal to the ceramic, its the sliding pieces of the door that are loose ie. the mesh and the plate. They visible shake and are loose in the groove/channel that they slide in. How do I tighten it up? just remove the whole thing and try smashing it up?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Mine is very loose compared to the way my large is. I have heard others say the same thing. I did not mess with mine. My small loves to be at 375-400° so that is where I do most of my cooking. When I did a 9 lb turkey I used the digiQ  just because I had it and only had to buy the adapter door. 

Next time I cook on it I'll play with the settings and see if I can keep it down. With the High-que if I leave it wide open and walk back into the house to get food prepared It usually is at 450-500° when I come back but it cools down rather quickly. It doesn't talk long at all to get it up and running. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My vent too is loose. The silicone seal around it seems adequate. But when I cooked on it this past weekend, I felt that it took a good bit longer than the large to cool down. Made me wonder if there is enough of a leak around the sliding vent doors to let air leak in and feed the coals. I haven't tried to see if it can hold temps at 200-250, yet, but I may not have much luck based on what others are saying.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I don't seem to have s problem holding low temps. Did a roast on the weekend at 250 for a few hours. Never had to adjust it.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The vents on the bottom of SBGEs are commonly loose (mine is as well). There are some folks who have carefully tapped the channel with a block of wood & rubber mallet to tighten it. I haven't done this as my Stoker fan adapter needs a wider channel. At shutdown I often stick a little foil in the groove to get a tight seal with the door. It isn't pretty but it works.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    @R2Egg2Q: do you make a patch out of the foil i.e. the size of the sliding door, or just a strip to place in the grooves? I might try this next time. 

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    My sliding door on the small is very loose. I thought it was b/c I don't have a screen. I'm headed to the mother ship tmrw to get a new a thermometer for the lil guy.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My small stays at lower temps fine its the higher temps over 600 that are an issue. I changed my bottom vent and there's no silicone at all and it still works fine for low and slows. My mini has issues staying below 300 though. People saying the medium is hard to travel with we camp with a group off eggers all summer and a medium shows up all the time just loosen your carriage bolt and take the top off and empty the insides. I am only 6' 200 and I take my XL in and out of the table by myself and am thinking about taking it to Georgia mountain eggfest.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    My Small has always had a loose door too.  However, all my "low-unt-slow" cooks (briskets & butts) have been done on the large; I only use my Small for  hot grilling & wokking.  So, its never been an issue for me.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Question is how do we fix this looseness?

Appreciate everybody's input.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    @caliking - just a little strip into the bottom groove. If it still a little loose I jam a piece on the upper groove as well.

Here's an old post with a pic of a vent that had been tapped with a wood block & mallet: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/140109
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    @R2Egg2Q : thanks for the info. I'll give it a whirl.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    edited March 2013
    Add me to the large/small club!  Just placed an order for the lil guy.  Should have seen the look SWMBO gave me as I was on the phone.  Previous research indicated prices would soon rise.  Dealer confirmed and said BGE prices are going up 5% at noon today.  MSRP on a small will be $569.  I paid significantly less.  SWMBO is mollified.
    Signal Mountain, TN