Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank/Mesquite Salmon (Steelhead)

Options
I am a salmon snob, I have to admit.  It has to be fresh (we catch our own or steal from friends who do), slightly smoked, or it goes to the cat.  I found this recipe to try, and it has become my new favorite.  1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup oil (try Lime Olive Oil...), 1/4 cup water.  Marinade the salmon for 2+ hours, then season with a little garlic and lemon pepper (this part is from cooks.com).  Lay on a cedar plank (I just buy 1x10 cedar board from the hardware store and trim to 18 inches as shown), add soaked mesquite chips, and cook with platesetter in place (or other indirect heat helper) - one side only, about 350-400 degrees until done (20-35 minutes depending on thickness).  When done (just beginning to flake), set another plank on top and turn over, and peel back the skin.  It will easily come off.  Lay the hot plank back on top and turn back over.  Serve on the HOT plank - the smell will drive your guests nuts.  The mesquite does all the smoking, the marinade gives a beautiful combination of contrasting but subtle flavors - this from a salmon purist.  This also works great with shrimp.

Comments

• CowboyLarry
    Options
    One thing I forgot.  I added garlic to some whipped butter for those who like more garlic.  Dab it on in the center of the served portion.  When it melts, it is like heaven mixed with these flavors.  ¡Bon appetite!
  • hartofatiger
    Options
    Sounds great, but i hurt my neck looking at the upside down pic. 

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I like wild only but will do frozen wild. Nice to see someone with higher standards.
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Sounds great, but i hurt my neck looking at the upside down pic. 
    That's because the salmon is so light it will float off the board unless you cook it inverted, plus the recipe said broil, this is the broil set-up for an egg. 
    @CowboyLarry - also like planked salmon, I use red cedar shakes for planks, will try this marinade, although we seldom use much of anything other than salt/pepper/oil/citrus. Thanks for sharing.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I like wild only but will do frozen wild. Nice to see someone with higher standards.
    @SkinnyV for ocean caught salmon, I think frozen is best. I prefer salmon that has been caught and flash frozen at sea to a "fresh" one that has been dead for a day or two. Catch your own in the morning and on the grill for supper is the best, but few of us can do that. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance, but if you cooking indirect, what exactly does the cedar plank add to the mix?  If I'm using a plank, I'll go direct.  By the way it looks great and I'm a big fan of the pat of butter on top.  I buy the frozen salmon also because I want pacific salmon.  To me it's much better than atlantic.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014