Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at atomic buffalo turds.

meturncl
meturncl Posts: 51
edited October 2012 in Appetizers
Just bought a large egg 2 weeks ago and have been cooking every night on it. Love this thing. Thanks to all that Contribute on this site, it's helped me a ton.

So Monday night I decided to cook atomic buffalo turds to see how good they really are. I used home grown jalapeño peppers, cream cheese, cocktail Winnie and wrapped them in bacon. Placed on the egg at 400 indirect for 40 minutes or so. Awesome! This will definitely make the menu for the Lsu bama football party next weekend. Geaux tigers.
Geaux Tigers

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Did you sprinkle on some of your favorite bbq rub? They look great and are always a hit, but a bit labor intensive.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178

Thanks for sharing meturncl Looks great!

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Thanks. They are a bit labor intensive but a big hit in my house. I forgot to sprinkle anything on top of them. I will next time. Thanks
    Geaux Tigers

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Don't rub your eyes X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks for the heads up. This was the first year I grew my own Jalapeno peppers and had too many to eat. These suckers were so hot that I had to clean them under cold running water and still that didnt help. I use gloves now... potent little things.. 
    Geaux Tigers

• Griffin
    Gloves....always use gloves. And @Mickey, its not the eyes you should worry about, but the area south of the belt.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin said:
    Gloves....always use gloves. And @Mickey, its not the eyes you should worry about, but the area south of the belt.
    Jason you jest. But I did have a saleman years ago that happened. WOW.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look great!  I haven't tried them with lil' smokies (yet)...that's a great idea.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I will also be doing with lil smokies after seeing this. Try mixing shredded cheese with your cream cheese. Or try mixing velveta with some ground sausage and use that as stuffing.
    Boom
  • Smity
    Smity Posts: 57
    ABT's are well worth the work..... You look great!
  • bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31

Look great.  Love those things but haven't ever tried them with the lil smokies.  I'll have to give that a shot.

Make sure you have plenty of strong drink to go with the ones you fix for the BAMA/lsu game.  It will make the game easier to watch.  :)  ROLL TIDE!

Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • Griffin
    @Mickey - ah, but I don't jest. I made that mistake once....once. Multitudes of beer consumed and I had to go to the bathroom. Oh the burn. :(( Gloves ever since.

Rowlett, Texas

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We use 1/2 of a butterflied chorizo in each one, 4" jalapenos and a full bacon strip on each, the run is Weber Kick'ng Chicken. I put four back on the grill for a staged picture, all 20 disappeared in minutes. Wear gloves when preparing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Hey Skiddy. Gotta try that style of ABT. I have always split the pepper in half and filled both sides up, and then close it all back up and wrap with bacon. Bet this is a bit faster in the preparing dept. And then there is the chorizo   
     Thanks =D>
    Large, small, and a mini
  • LOL, I just did my first attempt.  I only got my egg this past weekend so I'm still learning how to handle it.  I put 4 Jalapeno boats on the grill that was at 400.  I figured ah I'll get a shower and clean up.  

I get out of the shower, get dressed and check on the buffalo turds.  The egg was vented too much and the temp was over 500!  I didn't have buffalo turds I had little charcoal briquettes.  I made a new batch after I got the temp down lol.

They're awesome!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Stargaze said:
    LOL, I just did my first attempt.  I only got my egg this past weekend so I'm still learning how to handle it.  I put 4 Jalapeno boats on the grill that was at 400.  I figured ah I'll get a shower and clean up.  

I get out of the shower, get dressed and check on the buffalo turds.  The egg was vented too much and the temp was over 500!  I didn't have buffalo turds I had little charcoal briquettes.  I made a new batch after I got the temp down lol.

They're awesome!
    Every time I think of something perfectly fine get reduced to a charcoal briquette, I think of Spock, stuck in the anti matter reactor in Wrath of Khan saying "the needs of the many...."
    I use shrimp but I'll definitely try the weiners. Found a recipe on here...red pears, halved and scooped then done like an abt...from zippy. They were as good if not better.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Cooking the 40 minutes indirect does the bacon get crispy? 

I love these kinds of things, but can't stand chewy bacon.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Good job, they look great!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    tamu2009 said:
    Cooking the 40 minutes indirect does the bacon get crispy? 

I love these kinds of things, but can't stand chewy bacon.
    you can keep cooking til the bacon is done to your liking, or partial cook the bacon before wrapping or for a nicer crisp use proscuito instead of bacon or forget the wrap and put partially cooked bacon on them like this

the ones in the back break all the rules, cream cheese is sweatened with powdered sugar and they are stuffed with fresh peach and blueberries
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I sprinkle a little paprika and cayenne on mine before cooking. Then pour some Sweet Baby Ray Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce on them for the last 10-15 min. The sweet and the heat really go well together.

Last time I made them was late last Fall. Did some pineapple rings with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on them for dessert as long as I had the Egg fired up. I thought I had died and went to Heaven!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I took one and cut a pocket just big enough to remove the seeds. Stuffed with dark chocolate and wrapped in bacon. Kids loved them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    These seem to be the wife's favorite appetizer so far.  I'm also a fan of crispier bacon.  The bacon seems to takes too long to crisp up, but we typically keep thick bacon.  I think I'll use some thin bacon (sacrilege!) the next time.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I've seen some recipes recommend using pre-cooked bacon too.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

For my ABTs and bacon bombs, I pre cook the bacon slightly in the oven then assemble. Allows it to crisp up nicely in the egg.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ABTs are amazing. Literally countless ways to stuff and prep. I could make 20 and they'd all be different and tasty. Can be appetizer or dessert.
    Boom