Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got the green light for a slicer; which one?

2»

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Nola, I got an "exlarge" kitchen that I designed... sorry, I helped or merely contributed to in its dev. :) SWMBO did it.

But, if you cover it all up with CL gadgets, you might as well have poured "sekrete" for countertops.

Even still, where do you keep your sous vide, your knife collections, cutting boards in teak and bamboo and Blah, your "professional" KA with its concrete mixing sized drum, not to mention your CI Griswald and shameful Lodge,

and then we happen upon the coffee makers.... Oh No!!!

:)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I have a section of my garage now dedicated to "my" cooking gadgets. No place to park a car in my double garage ...
    Lynnwood WA
  • As much as I think that I want a slicer I have never been able to justify the cost for how many times a year I would use it.  Perhaps if I didn't have kids and had a little more time to myself I could see using one more but the seven year old and SWMBO do not care if the meat is perfectly sliced or not so I just keep a real sharp knife (like give you a paper cut to the bone sharp) where the kids can't get anywhere near it and use it the 4-6 times a year I would actually want a slicer to cut the meat.  Takes a while, but anything worth while does.
    That's the key, will you use it? If not, it is not for you. For a family that buys deli meats, a slicer is ideal. Cook it, slice it, consume it. In fact, after slicing roast beef, I sometimes freeze it and pull  out a 2 sammie bag as needed. 
    I also use ours for cheese, hard salami and italian sausages. I buy pizza pepperoni by the inch, drives the deli girl nuts because she is trained to slice it and sell it. I ask her for two inches in a chunk, take it home and use it the way we like it. Slicers are a great tool, but you have to use it and have a place to store it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Solson005 said:
    My buddy is a general manger at a sandwich shop and they had 11 stores quit slicing at the locations and slice it at the corporate headquarters and saved thousands on liability insurance so there is 11 slicers collecting dust in a warehouse, but they are dragging their feet on my offer to make it 10 collecting dust  :D I will have to keep it in a bag in the garage because it is pretty big but thats ok if I can get it for around the price of a home slicer or free.. 
    What area are the shops in (do they have a name)? I am mulling over picking up a Hobart slicer from work for $350. We no longer slice our deli meat in store and our restaurant supply vendor still has some in stock that he hasn't flipped yet...
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @hapster Its the greater Oklahoma City area and the sandwich place is called City Bites. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I went through the where to put it thing as well. I have a food processor that sits most of the time as well. Plus the knives and cast iron skillets. I was inspired on this board to get a used cast iron dutch oven that I've yet to use. It will happen that I use this stuff more. I do use the Keurig daily. Before it came along, we didn't drink much coffee, only on weekends. Right now I feel I would use a slicer. Does it mean I'll stop buying packaged deli meat. No I doubt it cause unfortunately, I don't have the time to cook a real meal every day. SWMBO cooks mostly through the week inside due to the fact that we want to have a sit down meal with the kids before they go to practice. My goal is to cook and slice some lunch meats that I know what is in them, so I can feel better about what we are eating. And I am close to starting to cure my own bacon, and want to slice that as well. And I would use it to slice some beef roasts, and ham, and turkey. I think I just talked myself out of it and then back in again. OK, done rambling.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    @500 just go for it. You can't take it with you when you go enjoy it now
    Hey thanks. Yea sometimes a over think things. I'm getting one. A kitchen remodel is coming this Summer, so there'll be more room.
    Member since 2009
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I'm talking myself into one for the same reasons. I don't think you can go wrong
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sirman Spa Via Venezia 2...I found this on cl but couldn't find a lot of info online. They're asking $175.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Bacon.... check
    Pastrami off egg... check
    Beef jerky.... check
    Turkey breast from Costco whole cooked $3.99 lb.... check
    Cheese block lasting forever since u slice thin, healthier also... check.
    The possibilities. The 632 cleans up and stores easily, I thought about a bigger model but too much for me.

Seattle, WA
    edited February 2013
    henapple said:
    Sirman Spa Via Venezia 2...I found this on cl but couldn't find a lot of info online. They're asking $175.
    Never heard of that one in my research.  Looks European.

SkinnyV said:
    Bacon.... check Pastrami off egg... check Beef jerky.... check Turkey breast from Costco whole cooked $3.99 lb.... check Cheese block lasting forever since u slice thin, healthier also... check. The possibilities. The 632 cleans up and stores easily, I thought about a bigger model but too much for me.
    @SkinnyV, do you like the tilt feature of the 632 better than what you think the 615 would do?
    EDIT.  Sorry you said you liker the tilt feature
    Member since 2009
    500 said:
    Just found a Hobart on Craigslist for $200.  No model number, picture, or description.  Kind of leery about it, but plan on calling.
    The guy sold it already, but didn't bother taking the ad down.  Hate that.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    500 said:

500 said:

Just found a Hobart on Craigslist for $200.  No model number, picture, or description.  Kind of leery about it, but plan on calling.

The guy sold it already, but didn't bother taking the ad down.  Hate that.

The best is when you contact someone on say, a Monday, they then respond on Thursday with "Sorry, I sold it yesterday".

Hemorrhoid annoying.
    OK.  Pulling the trigger on the Chef's Choice 615.  Found it in the Best Buy Marketplace.  Happy Birthday to me!
    Member since 2009
  • eprice
    eprice Posts: 12

Just found and Bought today a Hobart 610  in Great condition  $350. on CL

Prob be hard to find parts for but it is really smooth and Looks great, Post pics later

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    eprice said:

Just found and Bought today a Hobart 610  in Great condition  $350. on CL

Prob be hard to find parts for but it is really smooth and Looks great, Post pics later

It won't be hard to get parts. They're all over ebay/cl and you can still get stuff direct from Hobart. Great find!
    Very quick shipping from Best Buy Marketplace.  Ordered yesterday.  Slicer comes today! 
    Member since 2009