Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Packer Brisket Overnighter

Options

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Mr. Dying_ToBeFromTexas practically begged me not to tell you guys this, but we were in contact yesterday via text messages and FaceBook messenger. He was asking me all kinds of questions on how to cook a brisket, does a brisket come from a cow, what time and temp, was it supposed to be indirect (I know, can you believe this guy?), would the moon and tides affect it, should alcohol be consumed during the cook (and if so, beer or bourbon? Bourbon of course), how to protect his brisket from bbq loving space aliens in the middle of the night and even how to light his fire. he said if it bombed he was going to blame me and if it was good he was gonna take all the credit. I just thought I should put that out there for all to see.

OK...I might have exagerated a bit about some of that, but we were in communication. You done good, Diane_SC. You made this Texan proud.

=D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I knew it!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Still need to do my first packer brisket.....that looks tremendous. Well done.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thanks fellas'! Except for you, @Griffin. ;) I swear, you ask the boy one thing and he tries to steal your glory. :D
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Just so you fine folks know, me and Dyal_SC go back a few years (from a different bbq forum) and have been giving each other a hard time for years. Its all in fun, never any hard feelings (at least on my part)

But I did convince him to get an Egg and then come over here once he did. Without me, he'd be nuthin'. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Hey, you spelled my name right for once! Thanks, Griffen! And you are right, I'd be nothing without you. >:D<
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Just cut the point into cubes. It was so juicy that I almost didn't wanna do the burnt ends. :) Placed them into a pan with holes in it, and threw them back on the egg. Figure I will give them an hour or so before adding the sauce. My mouth is watering already! ;) The JD whiskey chips smell so good! Oops, just realized that I wanted to add more rub to the cubes... Better go do that now. Here is a progress pic though... Stay tuned!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man those things look amazing. I need to do another whole packer. I like pulled pork bettter, but burnt ends are hard to beat.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    We are eating around 6:30, @Chubbs. Come on over! ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    We are eating around 6:30, @Chubbs. Come on over! ;)

Man I wish-- just got home from work. Had to get...... Take......out :-O
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    That all looks awesome, nice job.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Those pics remind me of some Triple D episode.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    That crap basically forced me into doing one... I hate this forum. :((
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Dyal, I'm in Kansas City for business and had to go to Smoking Guns BBQ to have Burnt Ends for lunch today after watching your Brisket cook!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Holy hell...  i'm getting a brisket this week,,  Your fault,,,
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Burnt ends look fantastic, I'm drooling on my keyboard
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys! Just heated up some for lunch. Made my coworkers jealous... ;)
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Thx guys! Just heated up some for lunch. Made my coworkers jealous... ;)

He$$ your making me jealous and I'm not even there.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • bccomstock
    Options
    This settles it.. Heading to Sam's later.. Saw some packers there that need smoking!
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    I've heard of burnt ends referred to as "Nuggets of Barbecue Gold"... I'd have to agree. :) I forgot to mention that I used Stubbs Original for the sauce. Went great with it. They melted in your mouth. :) Only downfall is the heartburn afterwards. :(
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I've heard of burnt ends referred to as "Nuggets of Barbecue Gold"... I'd have to agree. :) I forgot to mention that I used Stubbs Original for the sauce. Went great with it. They melted in your mouth. :) Only downfall is the heartburn afterwards. :(
    zantac!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    I noticed the pan changed from the start of them to the end.. Was this due to adding in the sauce?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @bccomstock, yup, it was because of the sauce. You cube up the point and then throw the nuggets into a pan with holes. I also added more rub at that point. Leave that on your smoker for about 1.5 hours. Then take them off and add to a pan without holes. I used my CI skillet. Pour a bunch of sauce on them, gently stir and put them back on the egg for another 1.5 hours. Then they are ready to eat. I put a little more sauce on my sandwich.
  • BillPinNC
    Options
    What temp is the egg when you put the cubes on?
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Just drink more beer :D
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @BillPinNC, it was still at the low and slow temp of 235...

@Central_Bama_Egger, that's funny...;) Except I woke up at 4 in the morning with the heartburn. haha. Had to get up and sit upright for it to go away. Feel better today though. :)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Burnt End question here:

As I've never made them, is it the addition of sauce that keeps them from drying out?  That seems like a very long time to have them on the smoker after they've reached temp. 

TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I feel your pain. I used to have a horrible bout with that.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @YEMTrey, the sauce does keep it from drying out, plus it adds a tremendous amount of flavor. When you bite into them, there is an explosion of smoke, bark, rub, beef and sauce flavor, and instead of them being dried out, they melt in your mouth...Like beef buttah! ;) The Stubbs Original sauce was a great compliment to the brisket IMHO.