Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt times

I've got roughly 6 hours Saturday and need to do two 8 lbs butts. 6 hours is everything. Light egg and clean up.

What is fastest time and settings?

XLBGE 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I cook them at 350 and would be nervous to cook much higher than that. You could possibly sacrifice a little firmness in the bark and foil earlier than the 160 internal most of us on here do. That would speed things up a little. I think you will need every minute of your window. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • +1 ^^ I think I'd make certain the butts don't touch at all. Make certain butts are room temp before you put them on. Not much higher than 350, no lower! Foil at 150-155. Good luck, that is a very tight window!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited February 2013
    I did a single five pound butt yesterday and it took about six total, seven if you count the rest. My temps I'm not sure will help, I had it on my new medium and I'm not sure the dome thermometer is quite dialed in. The grid according to the Maverick was 334.  Dome said 425. Thermapen said the air coming out the top of the Egg was about 375. I thought I had the thermometer calibrated, but those seem like too big a gap for that long a cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • My method would probably cut out the rest period and i would not attempt it.  I inject my butts with Lawry's Teriayki Marinade(12 ounce), you will have trouble getting six ounces into the butt.. The first part of the cook is the "smoke part", which i usually get a little over two hours of "pecan" smoke on the butt being cooked, indirect at gasket level, as low as my egg will cook, which is about 250 degrees, and do not pull until the internal temperature is 160 degrees.  This alone may take three hours.  At this point i wrap in three layers of foil, then back on the gasket level grill and bump the temperature up to 300 to 330 degrees. And i go to an internal temperature of 210 degrees. this is a variable -- might be three hours???  There will be no stall.  Bust considering you're limitations -- you need an hour to rest???  You can increase the finish grid temperature to 350 to 375 which reduces the moisture, but may only save you 30 minutes???      
  • Hmmm. I thought turbo ment turbo. I have more time its just I'm getting home Friday really late and wanted to nap.

No one done a turbo in under 6 or 5 hours??

XLBGE 
  • I can try and get a few more hours out of the day. Have to leave going out of town early as possible Saturday and am taking the butts with me for supper. It's going to be quiet the adventure.

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    It can be done if you want to slice it. Need higher temp to pull it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Split the butts down the crack (to get 4 4lb butts) and smoke them at 325.  You will also have to use the Texas Crutch (150 to 195).  Get somebody to start egg for you, good luck. 

Might be better off doing ribs, part of a turkey, or a small chuck roast.

• There is a way to cook a butt in a cast iron pot in the egg at -- like 400 degrees -- and it is fast, like four hours -- i tried it, it pulled kind of tough -- didn't have the moisture and didn't have the smoke flavor.

This is the turbo:image

End of smimageoke portion reaching 160 degrees internal

Finished Pulled

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    I did an 8 lb butt to 205 internal temp in about 6 hours total, 5.5 cooking + temp stabilization.. And that was with a 7 lb brisket on there as well.. I kept dome temp around 350 - 375 as it fluctuated at times.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I did a "Nitro" Butt; a little slower than Turbo, but still very tasty. Check it here; http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1285660/#Comment_1285660
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • thanks everybody, @500 im really liking the looks of that.

guess my new plan is to light the egg when i get home friday, prolly around midnight, have the butts already rubb'd in the fridge, do this thursday night, and then slap em on when temp is stable, if I get them on by 1 am i can sleep till 6 or 7, uninterrupted (baby will be at maw maws) as long as the butts dont wake me up.  lets shoot for 325ish and see what happens.  I need to have butts in FTC by 10 am and headed on my way...... Sauce and appetite will cover up my flaws. Its for a man party we are having while the girls have a lingerie party so im going to be my worst critic but definitely want something that'll show the butt off, i mean the egg off... i mean.... which party are we talking about now??

XLBGE 
  • I would think that plan would leave you plenty of time to get the butts done.  If there is an extenuating circumstance (wind/rain etc, not sure how your setup adapts.) @Z_Engineer's idea of chopping the butts in two to make 4 4lb butts could speed it up a little more.  Good luck on the cook and safe travels.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I did a 10lb on Saturday using the Nitro method that 500 was talkin about I put it on the Egg @ 9am and after resting for about an hour I pulled it at 5:30ish. That would be 7 1/2hrs on the egg. Bark was good, smoke was minimal and it was still juicy. It pulled fine. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148538/nitro-butt-chicen-wangs-and-pizza#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • good cook @mattman3696

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Thank You. I should have added that it never stalled.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    @mrcookingnurse Your plan sounds solid. I would be on board with that. Let us know if the magic happens.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • @MrCookingNurse great timely post.  I have two 10 LB shoulders and only one night to cook it.  
    This was very informative.  Thanks for the stream.  Good luck with the cook.
  • @milesbrown4
    you documenting cook?

XLBGE